Promotional copies

Hardbopjazz

I recently bought some LPs from a record shop in New York City. All of them were promotional copies. One of the LP, a Milestone record of Sonny Rollins', "Don't Stop the Carnival." On this one, embossed on the back of the album jacket it has this, “Property of Milestone records; when done with review, return the album to Milestone Records.” Did the record company really expect a critic or whomever this was given to to return the LP after reviewing it? All the other records I picked up, just as "Promotional copy, not for sale." I'm pretty sure these may have been given to radio stations for airplay; but I really am wondering about the "Don't Stop the Carnival."

Nah, they didn't expect anyone to return the records.

I've been in the newspaper field for almost 30 years and have gotten promo copies of at least a few things in most of those years. The only person who ever asked me to return a promo copy was a hotheaded young local artist. The promo arrived with a note saying "Please review within 30 days or return disc to me." The whole arts-and-entertainment desk of the paper had a good chuckle at that note. (The artist never got a review and never got the disc back.)