Icons Among Us

Teasing the Korean

• 2 years later...

Bringing this up because I watched this a few nights ago on Netflix. I think it was well done generally though I felt Herbie and Wayne were sort of being portrayed as the old guard in a sense. I forget qho it was speaking, but the point about how is Bill Frissell or Robert Glasper relevant as to what they ad culturally or socially made sense in a way. What I don't think the speaker thought of though was that Frissell's contribution is bringing in the Midwestern vibe, and other disparate elements over the past 20 or so years, something he and Pat Metheny have excelled at. It's not the same as Sonny or Lee Morgan sort of expressing their experience, playing music in time of much social upheaval and the civil rights movement, but that also for many musicians the goal simply is the music. No particular cultural or social goals, just musical ones. It's also understandable too why someone who grew up on Bird, Miles, Monk, might not be hip to what's going on now too.