Chicago's Velvet Lounge Closes Forever

sonnymax

I am very sad to report of having received word that Fred Anderson's famous and much-beloved Chicago jazz club, the Velvet Lounge, is gone forever. Following Fred's death last summer, the club was run by his two granddaughters. In the absence of a formal will, a family dispute erupted involving Fred's two sons, and the club's staff walked out shortly after Thanksgiving in support of the granddaughters. Although the closing was supposed to be temporary, Neil Tesser reported in yesterday's Chicago Examiner that the Velvet as we knew it is now gone forever.

This is a sad and bitter end to a musical experience that was a long-standing labor of love by Fred, the many musicians who performed there, and the countless patrons who witnessed live performances of creative improvised music that often challenged, sometimes enlightened, and almost always entertained. One of my fondest memories of the Velvet is flying to Chicago two years ago to join up with my good friend Mark to share the privilege of attending Fred's 80th birthday celebration, a week-long series of concerts that carried a very positive and loving vibe, a fitting tribute to "Baba Fred".

There is some glimmer of hope amidst the terrible sadness: a group of musicians and supporters calling themselves the "Velvet Birdhouse Coalition" is scheduled to present a concert in Chicago this weekend. This is supposed to be the first in a series of performances honoring Anderson's legacy. I hope this proves to be true, and that something more creative and loving will grow from this event.

R.I.P. Baba Fred and the Velvet Lounge. Long live the spirit of the man and the club.

Read further about the sad details here: Chicago's Velvet Lounge closed in family dispute

And here: The Velvet Lounge is dead; long live the Velvet Birdhouse Coalition

I am very sad to report of having received word that Fred Anderson's famous and much-beloved Chicago jazz club, the Velvet Lounge, is gone forever. Following Fred's death last summer, the club was run by his two granddaughters. In the absence of a formal will, a family dispute erupted involving Fred's two sons, and the club's staff walked out shortly after Thanksgiving in support of the granddaughters. Although the closing was supposed to be temporary, Neil Tesser reported in yesterday's Chicago Examiner that the Velvet as we knew it is now gone forever.

This is a sad and bitter end to a musical experience that was a long-standing labor of love by Fred, the many musicians who performed there, and the countless patrons who witnessed live performances of creative improvised music that often challenged, sometimes enlightened, and almost always entertained. One of my fondest memories of the Velvet is flying to Chicago two years ago to join up with my good friend Mark to share the privilege of attending Fred's 80th birthday celebration, a week-long series of concerts that carried a very positive and loving vibe, a fitting tribute to "Baba Fred".

There is some glimmer of hope amidst the terrible sadness: a group of musicians and supporters calling themselves the "Velvet Birdhouse Coalition" is scheduled to present a concert in Chicago this weekend. This is supposed to be the first in a series of performances honoring Anderson's legacy. I hope this proves to be true, and that something more creative and loving will grow from this event.

R.I.P. Baba Fred and the Velvet Lounge. Long live the spirit of the man and the club.

Read further about the sad details here: Chicago's Velvet Lounge closed in family dispute

Sad deal Rob! Man, we saw a lot of great shows at the Velvet...sorry to see it go. Fred and a large cast of characters poured their heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears and money into the place and to see it shut down because at least one of the sons doesn't have a clue is very sad. I believe at the time of Fred's passing there may have been only a couple more years on the lease so who knows even if they had re-opened, how long it would have lasted. I feel kind of bad for the grandaughters as they worked hard to keep it running and at least the handful of times I was there while they were running it, it had a nice vibe.

I hope to make the show this coming Friday night to see what's happening down the road with the new coalition.

m~

There is some glimmer of hope amidst the terrible sadness: a group of musicians and supporters calling themselves the "Velvet Birdhouse Coalition" is scheduled to present a concert in Chicago this weekend. This is supposed to be the first in a series of performances honoring Anderson's legacy. I hope this proves to be true, and that something more creative and loving will grow from this event.R.I.P. Baba Fred and the Velvet Lounge. Long live the spirit of the man and the club.

definitely a sad news story.

however, knowing the creativity, motivation, spirit, and respectful nature of the current group of creative artists in the chicago scene i'd bet that they'll pull something good out of this bad event.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all. I'm not so sure the Velvet Lounge is "gone forever." 67 East Cermak Road, where it was last housed, is empty now, and nature abhors a vacuum, and since Fred's family isn't using it and nobody else is using it, maybe, just maybe, the brilliant, powerful, beautiful people of the Velvet Birdhouse Coalition will bring it back to life. Let's hope so! And if not, maybe the Velvet can reopen at another location. Meanwhile, as "thedwork" wrote, "knowing the creativity, motivation, spirit, and respectful nature of the current group of creative artists in the chicago scene i'd bet that they'll pull something good out of this bad event," and the Coalition is doing that, presenting concerts in the spirit of Fred Anderson in various places around Chicago, and that's a very fine thing. And there's a grand event planned for Fred's birthday date, March 22nd, at another historic Chicago jazz site. I'll leave it to the Velvet Birdhouse Coalition people to put out the word when they're ready. Viva Fred Anderson, his music, his spirit, and his truth!