A certain Latin Jazz

lupe

The term "Latin Jazz" has been widely used since at least the forties, to describe several kinds of music coming from the Central and South America, and even beyond.

The occasion for this post is given to me from a mind-blowing album that I have enjoyed to listen a lot during the last years: "Zamazu" by Roberto Fonseca. I find this record as one of the most inspirational and ground-breaking masterpieces of the new century; and I admit that I place it even higher that most of the jazz records that are considered the best of all times.

This is not the case for other albums of the same artist that I have, such as "Akokan" et "Elengo", which are good but nothing more than that.

At the same time, I try to follow the work of similar artists, such as Omar Sosa (“Sentir”), the late Anga (the fabulous “Echu Minga”), the old Chucho Valdes (“Chucho’s steps”) or the young Harold Lopez-Nussa (“Herencia”). What some call Afro-Cuban Jazz has definitely still much to offer us in the future.

So, what would-you have to recommend to somebody who is looking something similar to the above-mentioned records?

Hey, thanks for that rec. It does sound pretty good. I'll be looking more into it.

I think you should definitely look into Guillermo Klein. His album "Filtros" is excellent, and he just recently put out a tribute album for "Cuchi" Leguizamon ("Domador de Huellas") which is also very good.

Here's Klein's myspace...

Klein myspace

Huh, crap, I had another decent rec for you, but just forgot it. Well, I'll post the Klein rec and come back when I remember the other one.

I like some of the stuff Chris Washburne has been doing. His CD, "Land of Nod" has some nice stuff on it. Very jazz oriented CD, but he doesn't abandon clave. He's been a journeyman salsero and has written a book on that experience. He teaches at Columbia. He also has a weekly gig with his band in NYC. I agree with you about Anga Diaz (what a loss).

The term "Latin Jazz" has been widely used since at least the forties, to describe several kinds of music coming from the Central and South America, and even beyond.

The occasion for this post is given to me from a mind-blowing album that I have enjoyed to listen a lot during the last years: "Zamazu" by Roberto Fonseca. I find this record as one of the most inspirational and ground-breaking masterpieces of the new century; and I admit that I place it even higher that most of the jazz records that are considered the best of all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJ6KLsoLl0

I've been meaning to look up 'Zamazu'. Thanks for the recommendation!

Gilles Peterson's Havana Cultura Project has Fonseca all about and should be picked up immediately. ;)

Thanks for these suggestions. I have a good selection of Bebo Valdes and the Gilles Peterson's "Havana Cultura". But the works of Guillermo Klein and Chris Washbourne are relatively unknown to me, so I will definitely check them out.

Other recommendations are most welcome...

• 2 months later...

Dafnis Prieto is a fine Cuban drummer and composer. I really like his Absolute Quintet CD. Great compositions and superb band!

Michel Camilo-One More Once, this big band album is irresistible. Full of great melodies, superb arrangements, and phenomenal playing.

I'm also a big fan of Brazilian legends Egberto Gismonti, and Hermeto Pascoal. Two truly great multi-instrumentalists and composers.

Guillermo Klein sounds really good. I think I'm going to pick up the Los Gauchos III 2-CD set, and Filtros.

I also like Ignacio Berroa's Codes CD on Blue Note. Some muscular Cuban jazz with heavy percussion and a progressive edge.