Caber Music- Jazz from Scotland

Clunky

I was bored rigid by the Sclavis, sidewinder. I really like Sclavis in the trio with Texier and Romano but I've had a growing sense of alienation from his solo discs. This one lost me completely. I've explained me reaction at length over at AAJ. You might like to put the 'Aye' case over there in the interest of balance!

I missed the Stimmhorn. Sounds wonderful!

My favourites were the two clarinet/accordion duos. Trovesi/Coscia and Mirabassi/Biondini. Completely individual.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Polite was exactly the first word that came to mind when trying to classify this music. I decided instead of posting immediately, to hold onto the disc for a while and try listening a couple of times over the past 6 months or so. Funny this thread popped up today. I threw this compilation in just last week.

I don't have a play-by-play of the disc, but I can say that I think it would appeal more to my father-in-law than it would to me. Very little risk involved in the music with an almost new-agey feel that I can't quite pin.

Some of it I wouldn't even classify as jazz, but a neatened version of it. I guess I was hoping for something with more of an edge.

Thanks for the disc, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

PS I think I'll pass this onto my father-in-law. I think he'll enjoy it and he may be interested in the rest of the Caber catalog. Its the least I can do!

I've been playing Kevin's one in the car for some weeks now. Of course I'm biased but I do think it's a strong session with some interesting writing and arranging. Folk and jazz in equal measure. Phil Bancroft (tenor) and Chick Lyall (piano) get some good solos and cut loose to great effect. Bev will like this one. Reminds me in a way of Trovesi's " Round about a midsummers dream"(Enja)

Phil's disc is due soon, not sure the exact date and it too will be one to hear. I've seen his band quite a number of times and they're pretty hot. I'm excited about this one but haven't heard it yet.

That was an excellent concert by 'Celtic Feet' at Bath. The fiddle player and accordionist in combination were hot !

Louis Sclavis and 'Napoli's Walls' was my personal favourite - although it got a pretty mixed reaction from the punters.

Did you see the performance in the Guildhall by 'Stimmhorn'? Music will never be the same again after seeing that amazing show. First time for the Alpenhorn in jazz. Also first time I've ever seen an accordionist repair his kit with screwdriver mid-show looking totally cool about it and making it into theatre. Amazing ! :)

Not first time in jazz, I believe - I seem to remember that Vienna Art Orchestra used the Alpenhorn when I heard them some 15 -20 years ago - and a very long one too.

• 1 month later...

some new spam, just in................BBC jazz awards July 29th 2004 Hammersmith Palais...............

Congrats to Colin, his album topped the BBC Jazz award of the year, Best Album 2004 (as voted for by the public) :g

Welldone to Soweto Kinch for getting two gongs ( Best Band and Instrumentalist)