Chicago Tribune Article on Jazz Record Mart

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this thread for the first time. My comments:

1. This can be a really strange place.

2. The Jazz Record Mart is my absolute favorite record store in the world, although I live 600 miles away and have only visited a couple of times. The last time I was there, I walked out with a big stack of 45's, LPs, and CDs.

3. I really like John Litweiler's books.

4. I agree with JL about Reich's Jelly Roll book. I had to force myself to finish it, and when I did, I had a bad taste in my mouth.

5. I'm more resolved than ever to read Larry's Jazz In Search of Itself, which I somehow was unaware of until about a year ago. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a copy for 25 cents, but I'm still looking forward to reading it.

Edited by jeffcrom

Whenever I hit Chicago, I go to JRM. It is a great place to browse. If you leave without a bagful of CDs or LPs, well, then you're not really into jazz, is all I can say. I would like to see it go on and on, but I have to wonder whether it will outlive its owner/founder, Bob Koester.

Whenever I hit Chicago, I go to JRM. It is a great place to browse. If you leave without a bagful of CDs or LPs, well, then you're not really into jazz, is all I can say. I would like to see it go on and on, but I have to wonder whether it will outlive its owner/founder, Bob Koester.

Bob's son is involved in the business. Is there any reason to think that he will not continue it?

The JRM is a great place. I remember back in the day when it was the size of your living room. It was tiny but stocked with hard core and high quality records. It's come a long way since then. I did visit the JMT about 10 years ago. I heard some music coming from the back. I went to check it out and it was Fred Anderson getting down with a small group. It was awesome.....