Steve Morse: The Complete 1978 Dixie Dregs Interview

Back in June 1978, while the great fusion band Dixie Dregs were on their "What If" Tour, I did interviews with Steve Morse and Andy West for Guitar Player magazine. Two weeks ago Steve gave me permission to retranscribe the original tapes, and it turns out that about 80% of the material was never published. A lot of the stuff in this 10,000-word interview is amazing! Steve starts by going way deep into his gear -- at the time, he was playing the hybrid Telecaster with a Strat neck and five pickups, all of which he assembled himself. Then he covers his background, with many funny and insightful stories that have never before been published.

Highlights include his descriptions of the culture shock he endured after moving from Ypsilanti, Michigan, to Augusta, Georgia, how he kept getting kicked out of school, and his entry into the underground hippie scene in what he describes as a redneck community. There are also a lot of details about the evolution of his playing style and bands, the formation of the Dixie Dregs, the band’s first three releases -- The Great Spectacular, Free Fall, and What If -- and their strategy for recording. Steve also covers his approach to composing and how to arrange guitar with violin and bass. If you’re interested in seeing the whole conversation, it’s posted here: Jas Obrecht Music Archive: Steve Morse -- The Complete 1978 Dixie Dregs Interview

Back in June 1978, while the great fusion band Dixie Dregs were on their "What If" Tour, I did interviews with Steve Morse and Andy West for Guitar Player magazine. Two weeks ago Steve gave me permission to retranscribe the original tapes, and it turns out that about 80% of the material was never published. A lot of the stuff in this 10,000-word interview is amazing! Steve starts by going way deep into his gear -- at the time, he was playing the hybrid Telecaster with a Strat neck and five pickups, all of which he assembled himself. Then he covers his background, with many funny and insightful stories that have never before been published.

Highlights include his descriptions of the culture shock he endured after moving from Ypsilanti, Michigan, to Augusta, Georgia, how he kept getting kicked out of school, and his entry into the underground hippie scene in what he describes as a redneck community. There are also a lot of details about the evolution of his playing style and bands, the formation of the Dixie Dregs, the band’s first three releases -- The Great Spectacular, Free Fall, and What If -- and their strategy for recording. Steve also covers his approach to composing and how to arrange guitar with violin and bass. If you’re interested in seeing the whole conversation, it’s posted here: Jas Obrecht Music Archive: Steve Morse -- The Complete 1978 Dixie Dregs Interview

wow. totally awesome jaso! thanks for putting this up. i will be reading it soon when i've got an extra hour or so to really check it out. Morse is absolutely an unsung hero ( :w ) as far as rock guitarists go. genius legend legend legend. unbelievable musician. and every time i've ever heard/seen him interviewed or just talking he comes off as the most genuine, straight-forward, unpretentious, articulate guy you could ever imagine. and though he arguably has the greatest and most virtuostic chops of any rock guitarist in history, he's seems to be the most humble, regular guy you could ever meet.

Edited by thedwork

I saw Morse in 2004 with Deep Purple, he was absolutely stunning and looked like he was having the time of his life. That's what I like to see. In fact, the whole band looked like grey haired kids on stage, just having a blast and goofing around. Don Airey and Morse have a real nice chemistry too, I was concerned when Lord left, but those two really hit if off musically.