Keith Tippett

mjazzg

Exciting new Tippett release, From Granite to Wind. Studio recording from earlier this year.

here's the Ogun blurb

"Ogun is extremely proud to present a new jazz suite by the internationally acclaimed composer, arranger, improviser and pianist Keith Tippett. From Granite To Wind marks the debut of Tippett's new Octet, which features both old and new collaborators including Mujician's Paul Dunmall, and former Tommy Chase Band saxophonist Ben Waghorn.

A continuous performance, "From Granite To Wind" is an evolving flux of different forms and colours, reinterpreting elements of the great jazz tradition through Tippett's idiosyncratic musical language."

Anything new by KT is worth investigating in my book

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be after that one, mjazzg.

I've been mesmerised by Tippett since first hearing him splash all over King Crimson's 'Cat Food'. Remember seeing a very wonderful Tippett Octet performance in the 80s (the group that were recorded for 'A Loose Wind...'

what a coincidence - just been listening to "A Loose Kite .... " today & would you believe it or not the 40th anniversary "Wake of Poseidon" last week (slowly upgrading my KC vinyl - the 40th anniversary efforts are amazing, especially the DVD's)

I have never understood the mixed & generally poor ratings attributed to these jazzier Crimso efforts (Lizard, Islands, Poseidon) - they contain a stellar cast of British Jazz musicians. Critics claim Islands has no cohesion but I totally disagree - it flows beautifully for me!

I have never understood the mixed & generally poor ratings attributed to these jazzier Crimso efforts (Lizard, Islands, Poseidon) - they contain a stellar cast of British Jazz musicians. Critics claim Islands has no cohesion but I totally disagree - it flows beautifully for me!

Agree with you totally - 'Lizard' and 'Islands' are my favourite KC records. Quite unlike what went before or came after (and I love both) and very much studio creations.

I think part of the reason they have found it hard to gain long term acceptance is that Fripp himself dismissed them. Steve Wilson has written some wonderfully positive reappraisals.

Back in 71/72 those two records played a big part in opening my ears to the thornier side of British jazz. Tippett's piano - often more grand romantic than he usually plays, sometimes spiky and abstract - was a major reason why (along with Marc Charig's trumpet).

Tippett was invited to join KC full time. Wonder where that would have led? Can't imagine two such individualists lasting together for very long!

Edited by A Lark Ascending