B-Ball Brawl

As much as I like basketball, they must have the most sissified fights ever. Hitting guys with chairs from behind, such cheap shots. The hockey guys are the only ones who brawl one-on-one, toe-to-toe like real men.

I've always thought that hockey fights were idiocy - the only non boxing sport where fighting is allowed. If you put any hockey fighter in the ring with a good professional boxer, they'd be knocked out within a round.

As much as I like basketball, they must have the most sissified fights ever. Hitting guys with chairs from behind, such cheap shots. The hockey guys are the only ones who brawl one-on-one, toe-to-toe like real men.

I've always thought that hockey fights were idiocy - the only non boxing sport where fighting is allowed. If you put any hockey fighter in the ring with a good professional boxer, they'd be knocked out within a round.

True, but that could be said about most folks, athletes or no.

And though hockey players may not be the best fighters out there, you gotta extend some credit that they're fighting with shoes balanced on thin sheaves of steel... on ice. Most people have a hard time walking on ice, much less brawling.

And, yes, no sport looks more ridiculous fighting than does basketball. It's the length. It doesn't lend to graceful fighting. Hell, even Mark Breland, one of the most celebrated amateur boxers and a respectable career as a pro, looked awkward as hell in the ring with his tall lanky frame trying to load up haymaker right crosses.

It's not easy being tall and also looking cool in a rumble.

Just sayin'.

Fighting has never been my bag as it is. I'm just saying I've got more respect for guys who square up and fight each other head to head than those who gang punch one guy or cheap shot someone from behind with a chair.

I always liked the fact that goalies go after each other. :g

What I hate most are synchronized swimming in-fights.

That is such a misinformed statement. Do you have any idea how much practice goes into coordinating their routine so it looks like they're a single organism throwing two left hooks? Freddie Roach spends months with the U.S. synchronized swim team getting them in fighting shape.

Have you guys seen this? Wow. It's like you went to a basketball game and a hockey match broke out. This is a serious rumble. Fists flying, guys swinging chairs, the whole nine yards.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/videos-capture-chinas-brawling-ballers/

In the second video (China's game vs Brazil in October, 2010), look how China's (American) coach Bob Donewald Jr. incites trouble by acting like an ass.

From Wikipedia:

"On October 12, 2010, his team was suspended from international play indefinitely after a brawl erupted during an exhibition game with Brazil.[2] The game was very physical from the outset, and Donewald drew two technical fouls after angrily protested a hard foul in the game's first minute. After another hard foul, a fight broke out on the court. Officials appeared to restore order, but the Brazilian team refused to continue, and China's players then attacked their opponents as the Brazilians were heading to the locker room.[3] Donewald insisted his players were simply defending themselves,[4] but many press outlets cited Donewald's culpability for inciting his players.[5] The Chinese Basketball Association apologized for the incident and said that "that training will be halted immediately in order to focus on developing sportsmanship and integrity."[6] The team was reinstated in time to begin the 2010 Asian Games on November 16, 2010.[7]"

Fighting has never been my bag as it is. I'm just saying I've got more respect for guys who square up and fight each other head to head than those who gang punch one guy or cheap shot someone from behind with a chair.

I always liked the fact that goalies go after each other. :g

Amen to that. Here's a video of the best one I can remember. Patrick Roy and Mike Vernon from the SCP in 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOCXfu_mWyY

I've always thought that hockey fights were idiocy - the only non boxing sport where fighting is allowed (...).

+1

Even worse the people who advocate this thing telling it's part of the game,

I'd like to see a good golf brawl.

Not a brawl but it reminded me of this ad

Yeah, well let's see Mike Tyson try to fight on the ice wearing skates and see how long he lasts...

If you haven't played hockey, it's hard to describe. I don't know if it's the sticks, the contact, the boards , the net play or a combination of all four, but it just lends itself to physicality. Lots of stuff just happens and you go from there. When I first started playing, helmets were not mandatory. I had hair down to my shoulders and guys used to like to grab onto it a reef me around when we'd get into scrums. When that sort of thing starts happening, it's real easy to drop the gloves and take it to the next level. And, not being what I'd call a finesse player, I had more than my fair share of fights. Don't get me wrong, I'm no advocate of bench clearing brawls, and to its credit, the NHL has taken steps to keep that sort of thing to a minimum. Still, fighting is so much a part of the game, it just belongs. And don't give me this bull dinky about the international game being free of fighting and more attractive as a result. Not to me, and, I'd think, not to anyone who's spent any time close to the game.

That's the thing they are often not spur of the moments incidents , they are quite often premidated , plus it's one thing to loose your cool and be angry at your opponent and wanting to go at it , it's quite ridiciulous to see the charade of the guys dancing in the rink before going at it,and seeing the players and the ref just watching for the guys to go at it , it looks more a fight between two grade school students than actually grown man earning a living.

To say fighting is part of the game is like saying smoking should be allowed in public places but it's part of life

Anyway considering the studies on the brains of deceased athletes among them a few late goons like Bob Probert , sports like hockey will have to change their philosophy eventually

Yeah, well let's see Mike Tyson try to fight on the ice wearing skates and see how long he lasts...

Boxing is boxing and hockey should be hockey, not hockey/"boxing".