Blues, Boogie, and Bop

Alec

This set is awesome!

It has some of very coherent music of the day and just perfect boogie-woogie piano works by Albert Ammons. Rhythm is so strong on some numbers you wouldn't' believe it's jazz rhythm section at all - still it cooks perfectly well for my taste.

And Gene Ammons is so beautiful by doing his understanding of Pres, playing alongside his father. Touching moments, really!

Milan, did you check the alternates (on disc 7) from the Albert & Gene Ammons date? Some great tenor playing!

Also, I really like Helen Humes singing with those Clayton bands. Hardee and Wilson are a joy to hear, as is Humes herself!

ubu

Not yet everything, but masters are so fine, also!

Among other facts there is so much sincere in this set. Frankly, I expected to get bored after so many blues numbers in array, one after another, but... no way. They all seems so interesting you'll never get a chance to think about being based on same harmonic or esthetic (if you wish) formula.

And, of course - Clayton. Although I don't like Helen Humes so much (well, I like her, but color of hers voice is something that I can not connect with persona - the same goes for Mildred Bailey) she melted with the rest of the band so well, here.

I can recommend this set to every history/music lover. These are the roots of everything happened later (good and bad).

Edited by mmilovan