A Bruce Johnstone track for bari lovers!

Kelly Bucheger

I've just finished my final recording session with my group Harder Bop, with Bruce Johnstone as a special guest. Here is his feature, short & sweet -- this is an unmixed session tape, and it already sounds, if I may say so myself, pretty damn great, dagnabbit! THIS is why I wanted Bruce to play on my record... If you wonder what Bruce is sounding like these days, check it out, on my blog:

A Simple Wish, featuring Bruce Johnstone

Playback requires some new "widget" (their word, not mine). I don't need another widget. :)

No it don't! You should just get a big Play button -- hit that puppy and it plays! The little "Get Widget" blurb is only an ad for bloggers who want the same widget on their own blog...

Yes, pushing the play button worked, no extra widget required (though it did take a moment to respond). Sounds good- great to hear Bruce again!

Nice track. I remember Bruce from his days on Maynard's band where he was a featured soloist. And I do mean featured - take a listen to MF Horn 4 & 5 Live at Jimmy's. Bruce has more solo space than any sideman by far and about as much as the Boss himself. I think Bruce also played with Woody Herman for a time.

When I was a kid I played those LPs to dust -- I couldn't get enough of Bruce and Ferdinand Povel. It was nice to finally see it out on CD. Bruce has some great stories about that date...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Bruce many times during the 70s with Maynard....he was one of my favorite players in the band.

I also remember a couple of albums by a funk-fusion band he had with some other ex-Maynard sidemen called 'New York Mary'.

Kind of small Brecker Brothers-esque group. I recall them being really good. I think they had two albums on Arista.

I wish somebody would reissue them on CD (or MP3).

Stay Loose with Bruce!!! =:-)

bigtiny

Bruce was/is one of my main inspirations as a bari player (along with Pepper Adams, Nick Brignola and Ronnie Cuber). Love the Live At Jimmy's record with MF.

"Stay Loose With Bruce" was my introduction to that tune. Then I saw that it got recorded as "Morgan's Organ" when Lanny played it. Then I saw that the original parts in MF's band books had the title "Geller's Cellar" for Herb Geller. MF told me that it was also called "Watch The Ford Go By" when Jimmy Ford played it, "Pete's Meat" when Pete King played it on the British version of MF's band, and for a very brief time it was a feature for a guy named Gary Cox...