"give him a solo"

wonderful example of communication between performer and listener in concert last night at cultural center with Lithuanian Saxophonist Jan Maksimowicz - enjoy<br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; text-align: left; ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BseHHSVHQ6Y

WTF. :crazy::blink: All the jazz greats are rolling in their graves right now. Funny though!!!

I was there but too far back to catch what the lady was saying. If she meant, "Give David Boykin a solo," she must not have been aware that the talented Boykin is frequently somewhat unwilling to step into the spotlight, if in fact that's what this musical situation called for. But then Boykin did get to take some strong solos here, and Maksimowicz was impressive.

I was there but too far back to catch what the lady was saying. If she meant, "Give David Boykin a solo," she must not have been aware that the talented Boykin is frequently somewhat unwilling to step into the spotlight, if in fact that's what this musical situation called for. But then Boykin did get to take some strong solos here, and Maksimowicz was impressive.

there are several videos on the tube of boykin's informal sonic healing ministries concerts.

i love watching and listening to them.

they remind of the sparse audiences and wonderful musical affairs we have attended in small rooms many times.

She looked to me like she was talking to Boykin, like "let the other guy play, he's visiting here and we NEED him to play a solo so we can justify bring him in" or some weird promoter/advocate shit like that. I'd bet lunch money that the lady was putting up Maksimowicz at her crib, or at some friend's crib, or something like that, and felt like she needed to run interference for him on the bandstand as well as off it.

That's what it looked like to me anyway.

She looked to me like she was talking to Boykin, like "let the other guy play, he's visiting here and we NEED him to play a solo so we can justify bring him in" or some weird promoter/advocate shit like that. I'd bet lunch money that the lady was putting up Maksimowicz at her crib, or at some friend's crib, or something like that, and felt like she needed to run interference for him on the bandstand as well as off it.

That's what it looked like to me anyway.

That's how it may have looked, but in fact at that point in the concert Maksimowicz had been playing much of the time and Boykin not so much. But again, I felt that was because Boykin sometimes tends to be a bit diffident.