T.S. Monk -- who's in his current band???

Rooster_Ties

T.S. is gonna be here in Kansas City tomorrow night, and I just got a call from a buddy of mine asking if I knew who was in T.S.'s current band (and I don't).

I'll do a search, myself, later tonight (I'm about half-way out the door right now), but if anybody happens to know, or has any links to any recent reviews of any T.S. Monk shows lately, I'd love to pass them on to my friend. (He's on the fence about going. Me, I'm pinching pennies, so I probably won't go.)

I guess the larger question, actually, is whether it's worth probably like $25 for my buddy to go hear T.S. in a concert-hall type appearance these days.

Thanks!!!! :)

I'll check back in about an hour or two. Gotta run...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I saw T.S. Monk at Joe's Pub in New York last October. It was kind of a short set (40 minutes or so, second half of a double bill), but I must say that once the band got untracked they swung like mad. It sort of reminded me of the Jazz Messengers. Bobby Porcelli was on alto, Willie Williams on tenor and Winston Byrd on trumpet. I would jump at the chance to see him again.

Thanks!!!

Anyone with other opinions and/or other info???

I'm likely to give my friend a call with your feedback, probably early this afternoon, in a few hours.

Thanks!!!

I saw T.S. at the Kennedy Center about a year ago. Good points: the band had outstanding players, and, I agree with KH 1958, that the band swung like mad.

Bad points: T.S. is given to lengthy introductions and chatter (maybe should have been called B.S. ? :P - unlike his laconic dad), which cut down on actually playing time, and got a little wearisome to boot. Also, one of the advertised features of the show was that T.S. would play a previously unknown/unperformed composition by Thelonius-- and he didn't do so :rmad: .

So, it was a mixed bag overall. If money is tight, I would say skip it. The band (and I'm not sure who will show up with T.S., as I think the cast changes) while good, didn't break new ground, and, as pointed out, the set time can be overly limited.

Edited by Leeway