Business and all that jazz

BillF

Having grown up in an era when jazz and its musicians had pariah status in polite society, I can't get over the fact that academia now finds jazz cool and can't get enough of it. The reading list for my daughter's History degree at Warwick a few years ago included biographies of Duke, Miles and Art Pepper! :tup:tup:tup Bet you didn't have any of those of your History course, Bev! Academia's providing of jobs for jazz musicians on taught music courses - the classical monopoly of my youth having been swept away - is a great thing too!

Edited by BillF

Having grown up in an era when jazz and its musicians had pariah status in polite society, I can't get over the fact that academia now finds jazz cool and can't get enough of it. The reading list for my daughter's History degree at Warwick a few years ago included biographies of Duke, Miles and Art Pepper! :tup:tup:tup Bet you didn't have any of those of your History course, Bev! Academia's providing of jobs for jazz musicians on taught music courses - the classical monopoly of my youth having been swept away - is a great thing too!

Now all we need is for the BBC and the Arts Council to notice!

I use a textbook on Civil Rights that mentions Bitches Brew and the sleeve designs of 70s Miles albums.