A Little Love For Dick Shearer

JSngry

Listening today to a recently acquired, cleaner copy of the Kenton Redlands LP & it got me to thinking about all the times I saw the band in the 70s and how this guy was always there. I guess he was road manager? Anyway, the way he plays lead trombone on this album is f-ing Nutso Good. Hell, thinking back on it, the way he played lead trombone was always f-ing Nutso Good.

The Kenton lead trombone sound was an already-established tradition, but this guy sounds like it was his life's calling, and I feel the love in every note he plays, solo or section. Real love of the sound and the message. The thing that he does at the end of "Artistry In Rhythm" on this album is everything I dig about Kenton without any of the stuff I don't love. No pretense, delusion, or neuroses, just a bigass sound played with a bigass heart. Big and real.

I'm also reminded of a dance gig I caught the band at, where the last set was mostly soloists playing over held chords from the trombone section. Don't think there were any charts, there sure weren't any out on the stands, and some of the inner "voicings" were pretty...uh...."dissonant" :g but I noticed how shearer took it all in stride and would alter his top note to make the mischief fit the tune. Never forgot that bit of on-the-bandstand inventiveness, something that you don't usually hear on records (unless it's something like Ellington's All Star Road Band albums, which are pretty much the apex of that type of thing afaic).

Anyways, I take it that Shearer came on the band when times were a little lean and stayed until the very end. Don't know if he's still alive, but if he is, hey, here's some recognition for one of those guys without whom you don't have bands, you just have assemblages. He took a Role, found a Voice, and made it A Very Good Thing.

Dick was Stan Kenton's lead trombonist from about '65-77. In an interview somewhere he said that he felt he was born to play lead trombone for Stan Kenton. From his teenage years he studied all the Kenton lead trombone greats like Winding, Bernhart, Burgess and Fitzpatrick, and so was well-prepared for the chair.

When I was a teenage trombonist I admired Dick's sound and approach and tried to sound something like him. Now that was a dumb-a$$ thing to do! There was no chance! Dick was a great lead trombonist who could play loudly, softly, and in-between. He was a fine soloist, especially on ballads and had great control in the upper register, sometimes playing missing mellophonium parts by himself, after those horns were dropped from the band. On ballads, as lead, he actually played more softly than the other 4 horns in the section. You can read about Dick's unique approach to playing lead trombone on ballads and its affect on the band's sound here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Shearer.

Here's what else I know. Dick was not only Kenton's lead trombonist and sometime band manager, but also Kenton's friend and drinking partner (the latter would play a big role in Dick's demise). Shearer led the band when Kenton was off the road ill, and the last time was in '77 after Stan suffered brain injury from a fall. The band carried on for a few months under Dick's leadership, then disbanded, mainly because it was hard to get gigs without Kenton present.

Early in '78 Kenton, far from being well, decided against doctor's orders to reform the band for another tour. Dick was admantly opposed to the plan, and as I understand it, there was a big scene in Kenton's office, and Dick was fired, not by Stan, but by his partner Audree Coke. The first trombone chair was taken over by Roger Homefield, an excellent young player also steeped in the Kenton trombone tradition. That last tour lasted only 7 months, before Kenton, totally exhausted, had to pack it in. That was the end of the Stan Kenton Orchestra.

I don't think Dick ever recovered from being fired or from Kenton's death in '79. He always wanted to be known as Stan Kenton's last lead trombonist and actually turned down two offers from Basie (I would have grabbed them!) He taught at some colleges and made a CD with a 5 trombone and rhythm group he formed in L.A. called "The Stan Kenton Spirits". He participated in Kenton tribute concerts and reunion bands and recordings. However, Dick's propensity for overeating and overdrinking finally got to him and apparently he ballooned to nearly 500 pounds and couldn't fly on airplanes anymore. At the time of his death in 1997, Shearer was teaching at Mt. Hood College in Gresham Oregon.

Dick Shearer Sept 21, 1940- Sept 20, 1997.

Edited by John Tapscott

Always hate to hear those stories about folks who slowly but surely lose themselves after coming off the road. Sal Nistico was another one...

Would have liked to have heard Shearer & Al Grey in the same section...talk about personality!

Edited by JSngry

Yep, some guys are just made for the road. Wille Maiden was another. Steve Marcus, too. Frank Tiberi.

In whatever world they're in now, it would only be just if Stan and Dick are back together again, riding the front seats of the bus to "Nowhere", making up a set list for the night's gig, talking about how the new saxophonist is fitting in or not, and having a little taste of vodka from the band's infamous "blue cup". They were like father and son, actually closer perhaps.

Edited by John Tapscott

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So one time in Italy we played this place..it was packed. I went out the stage door to discover there were 100 of people out there. Christ I couldn't believe it. I then went out the front door and there was nobody out there. I hailed a cab....gave some money and told to wait. Meanwhile the Show ended I told Dick the situation. Dick says Get Stan outta here and I will take care of the band." I said no Dick you don't get it..its bad. Dick said "Sandmeier your uncle Dick has been through this before..Don't worry!!" OK DICK Goood friken luck. I grab Stan to the waiting cab...we are back at he hotel in 10minutes. Meanwhile Dick and the band get back in about 45 minutes. Dick walks into the bar looking a little franic..and I laugh and say "Damn Dick..where you been" Dick looks at me and said..."You know where I've been asshole!" "Took us almost an hour to get out of there" I laugh and said I Told you it was bad..Stan and I have been here for about an hour already!!" Dick said "you prick" Dick and I were always playing pranks on each other