Attention Refugees from the Baraka Thread

AllenLowe

coincidence or fate? I was working on the intro to the liner notes of our next CD, and contemplating the racial issues raised by Nicholas Payton and Jacques Lesure - when what do I come upon but this article, which says: "The brain, it seems, does not make much of a distinction between reading about an experience and encountering it in real life; in each case, the same neurological regions are sti...mulated. Keith Oatley, an emeritus professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Toronto (and a published novelist), has proposed that reading produces a vivid simulation of reality, one that 'runs on minds of readers just as computer simulations run on computers.' Fiction — with its redolent details, imaginative metaphors and attentive descriptions of people and their actions — offers an especially rich replica. Indeed, in one respect novels go beyond simulating reality to give readers an experience unavailable off the page: the opportunity to enter fully into other people’s thoughts and feelings."

So how does this apply to MUSIC listening, to questions of race, cultural determination, and the ability of people to express themselves cross culturally? You decide:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/the-neuroscience-of-your-brain-on-fiction.html?src=me&ref=general

coincidence or fate? I was working on the intro to the liner notes of our next CD, and contemplating the racial issues raised by Nicholas Payton and Jacques Lesure - when what do I come upon but this article, which says: "The brain, it seems, does not make much of a distinction between reading about an experience and encountering it in real life; in each case, the same neurological regions are sti...mulated. Keith Oatley, an emeritus professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Toronto (and a published novelist), has proposed that reading produces a vivid simulation of reality, one that 'runs on minds of readers just as computer simulations run on computers.' Fiction — with its redolent details, imaginative metaphors and attentive descriptions of people and their actions — offers an especially rich replica. Indeed, in one respect novels go beyond simulating reality to give readers an experience unavailable off the page: the opportunity to enter fully into other people’s thoughts and feelings."

So how does this apply to MUSIC listening, to questions of race, cultural determination, and the ability of people to express themselves cross culturally? You decide:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/the-neuroscience-of-your-brain-on-fiction.html?src=me&ref=general

Thanks for throwing the name Jacques Lesure out there.

Ah. The consolations of being right.

My minor conversion system never fails. :)

"liberal inroads" :rofl:

My link