Young Dex

Chrome

I was at my Borders Outlet and picked up a CD called "Dexter Gordon Volume 1 Young Dex 1941-1944." It looks like a French import, part of the "Masters of Jazz" series, which is a "collection directed by Christian Bonnet."

There are a number of tracks from the Dexter Gordon Quintet, Dave Coleman and Friends, Fletcher Henderson Orch., Louis Armstrong Orch.

I haven't had a chance to actually listen to this yet, but was curious if anyone else had it or has heard of this "Masters of Jazz" series.

The Masters of Jazz series was one of the best reissue program ever. This was a French label and the people behind it wanted to issue complete works of jazz greats in as good sound as possible and with full discographical information They issued several series of complete works (including alternate takes, radio broadcasts, everything!) by Armstrong, Ellington, Miles, Lunceford, Basie, Lester and a lot of others. But the label died a quite death a couple of years ago.

Very sad story.

Enjoy the Dexter Gordon! The Dexter series went up to volume 6 or 7.