handful of new releases

Lazaro Vega

Pianist Simon Nabatov is quoted by Stuart Broomer in the notes to "Spinning Songs of Herbie Nichols" (Leo CD LR 632), "Knowing too well how little Nichols' music enjoyed the awareness and presence even in the narrow jazz circles, my main dilemma was this: Do I assume the role of 'educator,' keeper of the Urtext, and restrain my own thoughts and feelings about the material? Or do I allow myself to add a bit more, assuming the pre-existing knonwledge of the music, so that I could feel free to dispense with the straight academic approach and let my imagination run wild...Well, that evening I definitely decided for the latter." This recording fascinates me, and demands patience.

Nichols' "Wildflowers" shows up on the new Vijay Iyer Trio recording "Accelerando" (ACT 9524-2), but it's Iyer's ability to manage and then excell within the polyrhythms of Henry Threadgill's composition "Little Pocket Sized Demons" that blows me away on this one. With Stephan Crump, bass, and Marcus Gilmore, drums.

Wayne Escoffery's sound is just huge. Have tasted, uncritically, a bit of his new one "The Son Of One," and just opened The Ben Riley Quartet featuring Wayne Escoffery, "Grown Folks Music." Yes, Monk: Friday the 13th and Teo. Interested to hear Escoffery on Without a Song from that one.

There's a new Kenny Wheeler big band on CamJazz: The Long Waiting. (CAM 5044). Liner notes by Evan Parker.

Trumpeter Tim Hagan's "The Moon Is Waiting" is OUT! Have heard him often with big bands, and his big band writing, so here, for me at least, to catch him in a small group is something else. With Vic Juris and Rufus Reid. (Palmetto).

Matt Brewer, the bassist, joins Damion Reid, the drummer, in support of alto saxophonist Steve Lehman on "Dialect Fluorescent," which includes the "originalist" Lehman playing Trane, Duke Pearson and Jackie McLean, as well as originals. The groove on Jeannine...I fixed my back!(Pi Recordings).

David Ades, an alto player from Austrailia, with Tony Malaby, tenor, Mark Helias, bass, and Gerald Cleaver, drums, just in today (http://www.davidadesmusic.com)

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I've played the new Iyer once through and liked it a lot. He's included an interesting mix of covers that all work well together. I've yet to spin the new Lehman, but I was surprised to see him covering others' compositions. I'll definitely be ordering the new Nabatov at some point soon.