Dave Douglas

Bright Moments

I don't have a real strong opionion about him one way or another, but usually when I play one of his cd's, its pleasant enough. I did not care for 'Soul on Soul', but I did like the string project on 'Convergence' and I also enjoyed 'Magic Triangle' and 'Leap of Faith.' I can listen to the Tiny Bell Trio material if I'm in the mood for it, which doesn't seem to be all that frequent.

I have a lot of respect for DD, but haven't heard near on everything he's recorded. I saw him live a long time ago when he was in Horace Silver's band.

Of what I've heard, I like the hat Art Tiny Bell Trio disc Constellations as a leader date; as a sideman, his appearance on the Misha Mengelberg Quartet's Four in One is a winner. I also like what I've heard of his recordings with Zorn's Masada.

• 1 month later...

I just recently picked up the Dave Douglas 2 cd live set from the Jazz Standard, looking forward to exploring that one.

Also, in today's email:

Dave Douglas’ Keystone band emerges again with their follow-up to 2005’s Grammy-nominated Keystone album. "Moonshine" is a hybrid recording combining the raw blowing, eye-popping, ear-bending live experience that this band is known for, and neo-psychedelic post-production. The end result is a masterwork of improvised electro-jazz that features 9 new Douglas compositions.

This will be a very special studio release—multiple different ways that you can interact with the music including free movies, bonus tracks, alternate live versions, and much much more.

Keystone is comprised of Dave Douglas on trumpet, Marcus Strickland on saxes, Adam Benjamin of Kneebody on Rhodes, Brad Jones on the Ampeg Baby Bass, Gene Lake on drums, and DJ Olive on turntables.

Preorder begins on November 6th.

Guest Bill Barton

Forgot to mention a fine sideman date. Greg Cohen's 'Way Low' on DIW.

His appearances on Patricia Barber's discs as a sideman are notable too. His solo on "Constantinopole" from Modern Cool is one of my favorites.

Guest Bill Barton

Nobody has mentioned Five or Convergence yet. Both are on Soul Note. From 1995, the former would be my personal choice for one essential "starting point" Douglas CD.

Another one that I go back to again and again is Serpentine, the duo with Han Bennink on Songlines. This one got rather mixed reviews but my take on it is overwhelmingly positive.

I just recently picked up the Dave Douglas 2 cd live set from the Jazz Standard, looking forward to exploring that one.

I picked this one up last week and just got through it this afternoon. Its a good one! I hear a stronger pop music influence on this recording than on previous ones.

• 1 month later...

Another new Dave Douglas album is out, titled "Moonshine". It's the Keystone band (Douglas, Marcus Strickland, DJ Olive, Adam Benjamin, Brad Jones, & Gene Lake). It's not cheap this time around though - $20 at Greenleaf/Musicstem - and I think it's only available on the website, at least for now.

One interesting thing on their website is that they are offering you the multitrack sessions from the track "Moonshine", and let you mix your own version, free.

MOONSHINE_COVER_HI_RES_cvr.jpg