Acoustics

fasstrack

Now I'm in that world full force. I was making some paltry money w/street playing and driven off my corner by evil forces---ostensibly b/c I use a (very quiet) amplifier. Now I have to use an acoustic, lose my sound which is part of my DNA, and half the busines since people can't hear me across the street.

But I did find a cheap Ibanez that gets the job done and gives me something like the dark, woody sound I cherish. And guitars have to be played to mature. This ($300!) find was after a long depression over not being able to afford a Martin, somewhat allayed b/c a maker/repairman in the Village I respect said that the suits at Martin did a despicable to a world-class product: they made a cheaper guitar to keep up with Taylor. Bad and stupid move, b/c besides embarrassing themselves and rightfully looking greedy, just why? Taylors do not sound like Martins. They are bright, and if that's your desire buy one. I have to admit I played the new $900 Martins---and loved the O series especially. They played and sounded magnificent. But the aforementioned Rick Kelly swore they fall apart after a year: glued-on necks, no laquer (that I did see, can't miss it), cheap parts, etc. I defer to Mr. Kelly's wisdom. He laughed at my Ibanez choice, dismissing it as a $100 guitar w/o laquer--and my head went down for a minute to fit the dunce cap. But I have to play it, and I'll make it work. And it can't be argued the miracle in cheap guitar-making technology. Truly remarkable.

That said, as long as I'm now playing it I'd like to take advantage of the acoustic's unique properties. I play pop music anyway and my sound is close to acoustic w/the Godin you see in the picture. But now it would be nice to really listen and revisit what people have done in the blues, gospel, folk traditions. I remember writing about how I lost a gig w/Big Joe Turner for playing too 'jazzy'. Well, it's late for that, but since I play much of my solo repertoire using the bottom strings like piano pedals it would be nice to put some of those big sounding (but more basic) chords on top. I like the hymns I've seen, and that might be a good place to start.

Now I'm in that world full force. I was making some paltry money w/street playing and driven off my corner by evil forces---ostensibly b/c I use a (very quiet) amplifier. Now I have to use an acoustic, lose my sound which is part of my DNA, and half the busines since people can't hear me across the street.

But I did find a cheap Ibanez that gets the job done and gives me something like the dark, woody sound I cherish. And guitars have to be played to mature. This ($300!) find was after a long depression over not being able to afford a Martin, somewhat allayed b/c a maker/repairman in the Village I respect said that the suits at Martin did a despicable to a world-class product: they made a cheaper guitar to keep up with Taylor. Bad and stupid move, b/c besides embarrassing themselves and rightfully looking greedy, just why? Taylors do not sound like Martins. They are bright, and if that's your desire buy one. I have to admit I played the new $900 Martins---and loved the O series especially. They played and sounded magnificent. But the aforementioned Rick Kelly swore they fall apart after a year: glued-on necks, no laquer (that I did see, can't miss it), cheap parts, etc. I defer to Mr. Kelly's wisdom. He laughed at my Ibanez choice, dismissing it as a $100 guitar w/o laquer--and my head went down for a minute to fit the dunce cap. But I have to play it, and I'll make it work. And it can't be argued the miracle in cheap guitar-making technology. Truly remarkable.

That said, as long as I'm now playing it I'd like to take advantage of the acoustic's unique properties. I play pop music anyway and my sound is close to acoustic w/the Godin you see in the picture. But now it would be nice to really listen and revisit what people have done in the blues, gospel, folk traditions. I remember writing about how I lost a gig w/Big Joe Turner for playing too 'jazzy'. Well, it's late for that, but since I play much of my solo repertoire using the bottom strings like piano pedals it would be nice to put some of those big sounding (but more basic) chords on top. I like the hymns I've seen, and that might be a good place to start.

Let me get this straight. You're spending time busking. You need an acoustic guitar. You find a nice Ibanez. Some people think it's crap. You feel bad. But your ears tell you different. You like rockin the low strings. :cool:

There are evil forces on the street :lol:

Edited by freelancer

I've heard this about the new cheaper Martins before, but I'm not sure I agree. I have one of the cheapest of the Martins made in America if not the cheapest, an all=mahogany OO-15, and have had it for three years. I'm not a gigging musician like you, but it doesn't sit in a case and gets use and there's been absolutely nothing but great play out of the devil, no glitches. Likewise for the all-mahogany D15S I have. In the one case that I heard that about the Martin I truly believe it was because something else was being pushed instead.

Ibanez make some nice acoustics, hope it serves you a long time Joel!

I've heard this about the new cheaper Martins before, but I'm not sure I agree. I have one of the cheapest of the Martins made in America if not the cheapest, an all=mahogany OO-15, and have had it for three years. I'm not a gigging musician like you, but it doesn't sit in a case and gets use and there's been absolutely nothing but great play out of the devil, no glitches. Likewise for the all-mahogany D15S I have. In the one case that I heard that about the Martin I truly believe it was because something else was being pushed instead.

Ibanez make some nice acoustics, hope it serves you a long time Joel!

I loved the all-mahogonies. My one reservation: not loud enough w/o a mic, and I sort of believe in let an acoustic be an acoustic. The Ibanez is not in the same qualitative ballpark, but it has guts and basically a dark sound. Put half-rounds on that bad boy and it's good to go. And it'll age. I have no illusions, though. It's no Martin.

Well, I've been on that corner for 3 years. I believe in street music. It's entrepreunorial (sp) for one thing. And it performs a needed service. Since I mostly play melody I'm exposing people-including children-to a wide swath of American music, some international too. The main thing is I'm not i-anything, so those paying attention see that humans make music, and that it's a job. And I get great appreciation. Everyone knows and smiles at 'the people's guitarist'. I keep the amp low, but it's needed. Bleeker is a tour bus and truck route-loud as hell. Summers the money is made at night, so I'll move to a less residential spot-closes to 7th Ave.-and hope for the best. I had no problem for 3 years, and the guys at the precinct know it's my livelihood, and that I'm a gentleman. The reason for the purchase of the acoustic was to have one-and something light to knock around with. The sound w/the Godin and that little Microcube is the best I've had in 47 years of playing, and it's heartbreaking that this may end.

BTW when my ship comes in I'm getting a Martin. A high-end one.

A dobro? I'll leave that to the dobrists. (they have DOBRISTS?) With all due respect to the instrument and its tradition I have no interest in a steel sound. Wood resonates. Metal is-metal. Not my thing at all. I don't even like bright-sounding guitars. When they slam those first-position chords its like when sanitation clangs the cans into each other. I used to like brighter elecs. when younger, and had 2 Guilds that were wonderful.

Aaaannde@. a complete washout. Made $2. No one can hear me. Had to leave anymay. Game plan: go back to the set-up I know and love, maybe find a less residential spot. Put amp in bag, maybe get a wireless set-tp. I shouldda saved and got the Martin. This guitar is unworthy of me: a player w/a rep. for blocks around...

How about I get a Dodo? With money.

:lol:

you might be better off with one of those parrots Ronnie Scott used to talk about.

Apparently Mr Scott went into a pet shop to buy a parrot and saw three different parrots for sale. He enquired with the shopkeeper as to how much money to buy the first parrot - a quite beautiful looking bird with lovely plumage.

The shopkeeper replied it was 500 pounds.

Mr Scott was taken aback and exclaimed, 'WHAT'.....that's too much for a bleedin parrot.....what's so special about this bird'?

Well sir.....the shopkeeper said.....this isn't just any parrot.....this parrot whistles the entire Charlie Parker's omnibook forwards and backwards'.

'Wow', Mr Scott said, 'that's impressive.....but I haven't got that kind of money.....I'm a jazz musician myself'.

Mr Scott then looked at the next parrot. This one was not nearly so pretty, and didn't look healthy at all.

"Well how much for this one then" he said.

The shopkeeper replied it was a 1000 pounds.

"What" he exclaimed, "a thousand pounds.....are you out of your mind..... What does this one do?"

'Well Mr Scott' ...... "this parrot whistles all of John Coltranes collected works.....both forwards and backwards".

"Oh" ....Mr Scott replied...... "That's incredible".

Mr Scott proceeded to look at the last parrot. This parrot looked the worst of the lot, ruffled feathers, severe weight loss, barely enough strength to prop itself up on it's perch.

"Well how much is this one then" Mr Scott sheepishly enquired.

"Oh this one" the shopkeeper replied....."You can't afford it"

"Can't afford it" Mr Scott exclaimed. "What the effin hell does this parrot do"?

"Well"..... the shopkeeper replied....."I haven't worked that out yet..... but the other two call him maestro".

And the thrilling conclusion: moved to a much better corner-off the Christopher St. IRT sta. Same bat-guitar, same bat-amp (now hidden in a bag) and the earnings potential is way up I can see. People are stopping, they seem more into it than on Bleeker, where the only music to the tourists was the sound of Gelatto lashing against the palette. I screwed up not having a CD for sale b/c 1st tune a lady asked. There's an alto player w/dibs on the spot at night so I will move when he arrives. No one from a block assoc. will complain- the bulls will only break balls out of meanness-but I refuse to even house such thoughts in the venerated Buddhist Dharma tradition. Now to that Ibanez: it sounds too metallic, too DOBRO-LIKE (;. Got to find a better string. Maybe half-rounds. And if I really work that corner this summer I will have a good acoustic before long. I'm so frickin' happy now I better watch out my (Chosen) people don't excommunicate me! If so on to shiksa land...and pastrami w/mayo.

I understand that the cut and paste method of c material is against forum rules. I myself wouldn't. But, like Bob Hope, 'i gotta tell you' from the very narrow and selfish vantage point of a schlub so poor he doesn't own a PC (my laptop's hard drive went South-and is hopefully enjoying the weather...rim-f-ing-shot) I hope the rest of you don't have to endure trying to navigate the web via a ('stupid') cell phone. Following a link can be a hell of an adventure b/c one can only scroll so far in a given text. Also on any web page you might have to go to 5 or more pages-scrolling til your thumbs numb-to get to the main event. Many times I don't bother. So not everyone can boast certain luxuries, and while I do not encourge copyparight infringement (I am in fact one of it's most rabid opponents) I don't see the harm in pasting a paltry few jokes, properly credited.

I played a $2100 Martin yesterday-and fell in love. I think it was part mahogany-not quite as mulk bulk in the sound as 2 other top-of-the-line models I tried (including an 'Elvis Presley'! which was quite good and another magnificent instrument made for another star's 55th b'day). Both of those price way out at $5000, so I have to wait til I'm 'kept'. Verlempt won't do. But the sitka spruce w/I believe a mahogany neck was the perfect guitar for me-sound/feel preference, hand size. Sigh. Er, anyond know a gentleman bandit looking for an only sligtly inept sidekick? I could 'turn' the store owner or pharmacist of his choice pretending to sell The Final Call while drooling on my nice, neat Fruit of Islam bowtie...

Not quite as MUCH bulk..