Cd Stores in Chicago

robviti

Jazzshrink,

Try Reckless Records for used cd's. I know there is one on N. Broadway and there may be another. It's not really a jazz store, but they have a decent selection of jazz. They probably have more jazz cds than Dusty Groove if the truth were know (all used), although Dusty Groove has some hard to find (new) recordings.

Mark

You should just spend more time in JRM.  It don't get no better than that.

I've been to the JRM before. Although the selection is quite good, the prices are rather high. In addition to Reckless, I may check out Out of the Past Records, the Record Emporium, and Laurie’s Planet of Sound. Thanks to those who responded. Keep those suggestions coming!

If you haven't been to JRM in the past 3 weeks, you should definitely plan to spend more time there. The reason is the estate sale, which has been mentioned other places on this board. The tables are still groaning under 1000s of used CDs from the estate of a serious collector. There are many Mosaics still available, too. Also, the guy liked classical. So, there's 3-4 tables in the back that are packed with classical cds.

They're all used, so prices are below retail. Lots of good stuff still available.

If you have been to the JRM recently, then Reckless is good. You can also head west on Belmont and hit Record Exchange, just before the El stop.

Have fun. Stay warm.

Edited by jamf

A few others...

For funkier jazz, Parlophone on Fullerton, just west of Clark. Actually, on that block of Fullerton, there's about 8 or 9 used CD and LP shops, and all of them are very good, and VERY attentive to detail.

The only decent Tower records in the entire nation is the one on Adams and Wabash. It's the old Rose records, and Tower wisely respected the greatness that goes along with that hallowed space.

The Crows Nest on State and Jackson. Granted, I'm biased...I used to be one of the assistant managers there, but the jazz selection is decent.

George's House of Music on the Chicago/Oak Park Border at 95th and Harlem is very good as well. But if you're not a south sider, don't bother, it's a bitch to get to.

JRM is the bad boy in town. Reckless is a cool place to visit. I almost never leave there with jazz, per se, but I always leave with something cool.