Rufus Wainwright

Free For All

Regarding some non-jazz music........

I remember discovering Bjork's Vespertine recording through recommendations from either this or the old BNBB. I really enjoyed that one and still listen to it from time to time. How's the Vespertine DVD?

Anyway, recently I was listening to Dave Douglas' The Infinite - I've always really dug the first cut, Rufus Wainwright's "Poses". I hadn't been aware of RW before and was curious to hear what had inspired Dave Douglas so I picked up RW's Poses. Once again, I really like what I heard!

His tunes are very engaging (I got one stuck in my head for a couple days......) and contain interesting melodies, lyrics and, lo and behold, INTERESTING HARMONY! Something rare in popular music. Plus he's got a very listenable voice.

I perceived influences including John Lennon (and Beatles in general), Steely Dan, Queen and even Broadway-type music. :blink: There seem to be other influences as well, like a Randy Newman-type sense of humor.

There are also some great arrangements (effective use of strings and other oddball instruments) and some nice dense textures. Definitely not jazz, but a very enjoyable detour from the usual listening habits. I tend to put all music into two categories, anyway (good and bad). It's a lot of fun to listen to, and it's good traveling music too. :tup:tup

Anyone else like his stuff? Anything else of his I should check out?

I agree. Never owned any of his records but I think he's quite good. You should check out his interview on FRESH AIR. It's among the archived segments on their site so do a search. It's a good one and, if I remember right, he plays a song or two.

If you like him I also suggest the FRESH AIR interview with Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields. They both have a quasi-Broadway thing going on. 69 Love Songs by the Magnetic Fields is an all-time fave.

I haven't heard his music (yet), but I absolutely love the Dave Douglas cover you mentioned.

I recommend Wainwright's Poses, Muskrat. I don't claim to be an expert on pop stuff, but I really like this recording. The title tune is just as hip as Douglas's cover, IMHO. Check it out.

Very creative stuff, well executed. :)

I have (and love) Rufus' first two albums. ("Poses" is the 2nd one, and I'm too lazy to look up the name of the first one.) I understand he also has a third album out too, just in the last few months, but I haven't picked it up yet --- but I certainly will, one of these days.

His tunes are very interesting, and the arrangements are great. And, his voice is really wonderful. He sings with a "full" voice nearly all the time, and I understand he was a vocal-performance major in college.

Hopefully he will have a very long career, and I look forward to hearing more for him in the future.