Sam Most LP "I'm Nuts About the Most...Sam That Is East Coast

sgcim

Anyone have this Bethlehem LP, BCP 18?

It's a Sam Most LP with Oscar Pettiford on one side, and another group with Burger Jones(!) on bass.

I read online that Ronnie Woellmer, a trumpet player, arranged the four or five cuts with Pettiford.

Can anyone verify this?

For anything discographical about Pettiford, I trust this link:

http://themenschmidt.de/don.htm

It says:

5503 NYC. Sam Most Sextet. Sam Most fl, cl, Marty Flax bs, Bill Triglia p, Barry Galbraith g, Oscar Pettiford b, Osie Johnson d. Ronnie Woellmer arr.

• Falling In Love With Love
  • Rose Room
  • Smiles
  • Broadway
  • 'Deed I Do

East Coast Jazz 9. Sam Most. Bethlehem BCP-18. - Sam Most: I'm nuts about the Most....Sam that is! East Coast Jazz 9. FSR-2029. Cover art by Burt Goldblatt.

Edited by brownie

There are two sets of notes on the back of the LP, one by Creed Taylor and the other by Sam Most.

In his notes, Creed Taylor states the following:

"Ronny [sic] Woellmer's writing is warm and pleasant, and of inventive, swinging interest to jazz scholars and laymen alike. There is a certain welcome paucity of funkiness in Ronny's writing, which may afford relief for some musical palates. In any case, the arrangements provide an intelligent, well-conceived showcase for the talents of Sam Most."

Sam Most is quoted as follows: "I told my arranger, Ronnie Woellmer, that I wanted to present a unique group which had a pleasant sound, and above all, which would swing. Ronnie, who is one of the most competent and effective arrangers I know, went to work assiduously and turned out the ten arrangements in this album."

The music on the LP is from two sessions.

Session 1:

Sam Most (fl, cl), Marty Flax (bars), Bill Triglia (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Burgher Jones (b), Bobby Donaldson (d).

Cherokee

Don't Worry 'bout Me

How Deep Is the Ocean

What a Difference a Day Made

Tea for Two

Session 2: Oscar Pettiford (b) replaces Jones, Osie Johnson (d) replaces Donaldson.

Smiles

Broadway

'Deed I Do

Falling in Love with Love

Rose Room

Note that the correct spelling of the bassist's name on the first session is "Burgher" Jones. He was known as Buddy Jones. Here's a link to his obituary: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Burgher-Jones-2770270.php

Wow, Jazztrain, that's enough info to send me out looking for that LP; thanks!

Ron used to be a very good trumpet player. He's featured on the LP "Compositions of Bobby Scott", and he sounds like a Fruscella/Joseph/Chet Baker-type player.

When I was doing gigs with him back in the 80s, he had switched to piano, and he had some great re-harmonizations of standards that have stayed with me to this day.

He was starting to gain some noteriety on trumpet (he placed in a DB Poll) when he had some type of injury that ruined his trumpet chops. If you know of anything else he arranged on, please let me know.

Sgcim,

Now you have me interested in the "Compositions of Bobby Scott" album. I'll have to look out for that. I'm not familiar with Ron Moeller, but I'll have to look out for more of his work.

I have originals of a few of the Sam Most Bethlehem albums, but for the one mentioned in this thread, I have just a Fresh Sound LP reissue.

I thought I had seen a refererence many years ago to an announcement for a Sam Most cd box set containing all of his work on Bethlehem. Turns out it must have just been a dream!

Wow, Jazztrain, that's enough info to send me out looking for that LP; thanks!

Ron used to be a very good trumpet player. He's featured on the LP "Compositions of Bobby Scott", and he sounds like a Fruscella/Joseph/Chet Baker-type player.

When I was doing gigs with him back in the 80s, he had switched to piano, and he had some great re-harmonizations of standards that have stayed with me to this day.

He was starting to gain some noteriety on trumpet (he placed in a DB Poll) when he had some type of injury that ruined his trumpet chops. If you know of anything else he arranged on, please let me know.