Downloadable out-of-print Blue Notes?

sjarrell

Wouldn't it be swell if every digitally mastered but currently oop Blue Note title were available for download at Blue Note's website? I'd gladly pay for the service, and you'd think that would be an economical way for a label to make back-catalog stuff available.

Does anyone know why this hasn't happened yet?

I think this is a great idea. My wife just got hooked on itunes, and it works really well. Downloadable OOP CDs seems like a good way to keep those titles in circulation (for instance, Tina Brooks' "True Blue") that aren't in high demand yet would still turn a profit. You could even download all the artwork and liner notes, and presumably they would be cheaper than $18.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all labels will make their catalogs available for downloading. My guess is that it will occur in the next 5-10 years - tops. Probably see the demise of the CD store at the same time - except for second-hand stores selling stuff for collectors and whatever music is still unavailable.

I agree; there are many OOP albums (already released on CD) I would like to own. Mostly BN artists such as Hill, Hutcherson and Moncur come to mind. While it is more acceptable to chase these down on Ebay, than, saying trading MP3s, buying used CDs doesn't send any money to the labels or the artists.