More TV news: Fox considering becoming a cable channel

The Fox broadcast network recently lost a lawsuit (to be appealled, of course) against Barry Diller's Aereo, which retransmits broadcast channels (if I understand correctly, and maybe I don't), and enables customers to watch TV on their iPads and smartphones.

This is in New York City, so maybe some of you New Yorkers can tell us more about this.

So a senior Fox executive says that the company will have to consider becoming a cable channel if its appeal of the lawsuit fails.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/09/exec-threatens-to-make-fox-pay-tv-only-channel-if-aereo-goes-on/?intcmp=features

Fox has always been among the "hardball" players when it comes to local cable negotiations, at least around here.Fox is always the last one to make a deal, and they might even go a few days w/o being available on cable. But they always sign in time for the sports on the weekends.

If cable is starting to go the way of the CD, do you think they'll drink the koolaid and really go this route? They're businesspeople, not martyrs, and they don't get rich by being stoopid.

So, this means people would actually pay to watch that crap?

Actually, in a roundabout way, people do. If you get your access to Fox through cable/FIOS/ DISH, your provider pays Fox a retransmission fee for airing Fox, and where does the $$ come from? Subscriber's pockets

The Fox broadcast network recently lost a lawsuit (to be appealled, of course) against Barry Diller's Aereo, which retransmits broadcast channels (if I understand correctly, and maybe I don't), and enables customers to watch TV on their iPads and smartphones.

This is in New York City, so maybe some of you New Yorkers can tell us more about this.

So a senior Fox executive says that the company will have to consider becoming a cable channel if its appeal of the lawsuit fails.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/09/exec-threatens-to-make-fox-pay-tv-only-channel-if-aereo-goes-on/?intcmp=features

It will actually happen nationwide if I read it right. Fox and the other broadcast networks get $$ from retransmission fees that they charge to FIOS/cable/Dish providers. Diller's Aereo is based on a series of antennas nationwide that allow computer/laptop/Ipad users to watch broadcast TV for a fee of about $8 a month. Aereo pays zip to Fox or the other broadcast networks, so they're not happy about possibly losing some revenue stream. If Fox becomes a cable channel then the Aereo 'problem' disappears. However, it could create some new problems for Fox with their NFL package and possible their baseball package.

Actually, in a roundabout way, people do. If you get your access to Fox through cable/FIOS/ DISH, your provider pays Fox a retransmission fee for airing Fox, and where does the $$ come from? Subscriber's pockets

Good point.

They're talking about the Fox broadcast network. Not Fox News.

The earliest that this will happen is when Fox's current NFL contracts expire, which I understand is several years from now.

That would have to be the case. Or else MLB, the NFL, and quite possibly NASCAR would slap them with a lawsuit so fast it'd make their heads spin.