why i no longer give away my music (by bob ostertag)

http://www.onthecommons.org/magazine/why-i-no-longer-give-away-my-music

"Jacques Sirot is an independent French artist and film-maker. He used my music as the

soundtrack for one of his recent films, as I have made clear he (and everyone else) is free to do.
Making sure to dot every i and cross every t, when he posted his film on YouTube he noted:
This Creative Commons film uses Bob Ostertag’s music,
Say No More, which is
distributed with a Creative Commons license; its usage has moreover been personally
agreed by the musician.

Yet soon after the film was posted, it was blocked for copyright violation, with a notice that “it
may have content that is owned or licensed by IODA [independent Online Distribution Alliance].” Jacques appealed:

“This video contains elements protected by rights of the author in question, but with the
appropriate license or written authorization of the holder of those rights. Bob Ostertag
was notified of this use of his music (which he distributes via “Creative Commons”) and
granted his authorization. I believe in good faith that the claims described above are not
valid, and that I hold the necessary rights to the contents of my video, for reasons cited. I
have not knowingly made a false declaration and am not voluntarily using this
contestation procedure in an abusive manner to undermine third party rights. I understand
that the forwarding of fraudulent contestations can lead to the closure of my YouTube
account.”

Thanks for posting this.

"Through a byzantine circuit of contracts and enforcements, the banishment of Jacques Sirot’s video from YouTube for copyright violation, for using my music which I had given him and everyone else explicit permission to use, was the result of a secret account collecting royalties on my music operated by a label that had built its reputation on resistance to overblown copyright claims!"

Only in America...