Funeral songs

Chrome

I haven't thought about this myself, though I have mentioned to my wife that I'd like to have a party for friends at a space with a good jazz band and good recordings.

About 5 or 6 years ago, the husband of a friend of my wife asked me to make up a recorded cassette of traditional New Orleans jazz for his father's funeral. His father liked that music, but he knew nothing about it. I can't remember what I recorded - I seem to remember that some Atlantic Paul Barbarin things were included, but I'm not sure. I do remember that I was going to do a New Orleans thing of slow going to the graveyard, and uptempo leaving, but I figured the family wouldn't be into that, so I just made it a mixture.

I haven't shared this with my wife yet (I think you need to have wills drawn up before you talk about funeral issues!) but the former Gene Harris Fanatic has thought a bit about this and I think an excellent choice would be Gene Harris "Blues For Ste Chappelle"

Audio Clip Here

I don't want something slow and sad, this is a nice uptempo, uplifting, "happy" blues that I think would bring a smile to people's faces. Its also short, under five minutes, so its not likely to bore the crowd.

Another option would be any of a number of Gene's performances of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" though that would bring Christianity into a non-Christian service.