RSI and musicians

Robert J

I was diagnosed with RSI a few weeks ago after I started getting a shooting pain in both thumbs and forefingers. I'm going for a follow-up today.

Part of it was using the laptop I am at right now. IBM Thinkpad. The "red dot" substitute for the mouse actually puts alot of strain on the arms. Plus I'd be in different locations, tables and heights throughout the house and on the job. All contributed to more stress on my arms, wrists and fingers. For 1-1/2 months I did a QA consulting job on a firm's website which required me to click and search on thousands of links. Unfortunately I had the basic MS Mouse and clicking "back" was done manually or by the back button, over and over again. Since then I now have a good wireless optical mouse which has helped enormously. There's a back button on the left side of it, very well suited for extensive surfing.

The other thing was my redirection of energy towards the piano in both teaching and my own study/performance. To that end I finally sold my ancient refurbished player piano and bought a decent used Kawai upright which has a tighter action than I am used to. This has been hard on my muscles too. As with many musicians I kept practicing/playing thorough the pain, not taking enough breaks.

Since then I've modified my computer time and piano time. My left hand is much better but the stronger right still feels pain. I can't open a jar of pickles or a beer (maybe go back to the days of using the molars) without that electric jolt. I do have a history of arthritis in my dad's side of the family, so who knows. I am using a good wrist support now on both hands, even when practicing the piano and this is helping. 7015.jpg.

I recall a story on this in Jazztimes or something a few months ago. Anyone else have some story or experience, or advice?

As with many musicians I kept practicing/playing thorough the pain, not taking enough breaks.

Why do we do this???

I've been resting my hands this weekend, as I hurt my right wrist shoveling snow a week ago. There's no pain when I play the guitar, or when I move my hand in the proper hinging motion, but any twisting motions bring quite a bit of pain. Also lifting and gripping at times. I went cross-country skiing yesterday, and the wrist was pretty sore this morning. It was a beautiful sunny day today, so I had to force myself not to hit the trails. :( My job involves a lot of repetitive motion, so every half hour or so I stop and do a good five minute stretch. Regular qi-gong practice helps a lot as well.

Good luck with your recovery, Robert.

I sympathise. I have had severe carpal tunnel syndrome for years.They wanted to operate but I have refused because I know that you lose strength and dexterity. Fortunately, if I just bite the bullet and work out for about ten minutes the pain passes and I can perform. I"m a drummer and can't afford to lose strength and dexterity.

About a year and a half ago I suffered a major heart attack (had surgery) and a minor stroke (had therapy). I lost a lot of ability with my left hand and had to play with only matched grip for a while. It's taken me all of this time to regain the full use of my left hand and now, thank God, I feel as though I'm back (all of my subtle grace notes and left hand roll is there 100% again).

Why do we do it?

.....What the hell else would you want to do? B)

Edited by Rimshot

Thanks for your input and support everyone! Now that I am becoming more serious about music as a source of income along with my other freelance work (editing, writing, consulting) more knowledge is better.

Funny how this topic is not more widespead in the music media as it should be. Sports injuries are everywhere. I can't read the hockey scores without the paper talking about my Leafs and their injuries!

I sense that I will get better on this matter. Perhaps another bad habit, which I haven't alluded to, is having a drink or 2 on the job (music playing) or even during some lengthy practicing, as a form of self medication through the pain. I have cut this habit entirely (well at least the practicing part). This does make me aware of when I should take breaks. Sometimes I am nuts as a soloist on the job though - when I really get into a party or event, things are going great and I am feeding off the energy. All of a sudden I realize I have played over 1-1/2 hours straight, usually ending with some over the top boogie woogie encore. Now that is punishment!

I may consider taking one or two lessons from someone just to have an opinion on my posture. I think as performers and teachers we are not able to look at our habits objectively.

When I do see some info on music injuries I find some conflicting advice about warm ups. The Alfred's Piano method I use for new students suggets warming the hands before practice with warm water, whereas the therapy for my hands specifically says only cold compresses. The warm up seemed to work for Glenn Gould! (then again he was addicted to painkillers).

Also, I have a book for classical musicians and exercise regiments and the author advises against using free-weights (my preferred form of toning) to the strap-on wieghts. I guess because of the wrist and finger gripping uses with bar and dumb-bells. She also highly recommends swimming lengths as a way for musicians to tone.

Here's some info from the Toronto Blues Society I found helpful. The article on RSI is at the end of the page(s).

http://www.torontobluessociety.com/0308lbn.htm

http://www.torontobluessociety.com/0309lbn.htm

and these other articles

http://eeshop.unl.edu/music.html

http://www.valeriekampmeier.com/dissertation.pdf

http://www.musicianshealth.com/WhyRSI.html

http://www.brainstormsandraves.com/archive...s_and_injuries/