Big Band Bloviation

John Tapscott

I don't know how many of you have heard it, but man, this CD by Danny D'Imperio is one smokin' disc. I've been really digging it over the past couple of days along with Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse. I know Danny is a member of this forum under some name, so congrats. Danny - I hope there's more to come. In the meantime, I highly recommend this one.

I've got (probably) the whole D'Imperio-as-leader catalog (for reasons that probably aren't even clear to me; I just keep picking these up as I find 'em). I would say that it's all of a consistently high quality. Solid, swinging sidemen. Great tune choices - many forgotten/overlooked gems.

I think the charts could have offered a little more challenge to the players, but a hard-swinging fest!

Lon, I agree. Unlike most big band albums the charts are not the focus here and I was a bit surprised at that when I first heard it. Everything is really opened up for the soloists to do their thing. Sort of like JATP for a big band. But when you accept it for what it is, then you can really dig it, because the soloists (esp. Smulyan on baritone!) are cooking. And the thing swings hard at every tempo.

• 7 years later...