Mat Maneri/Lucian Ban New Quintet 3/29 NYC

A fine line between madness and genius best describes the saxophonist in the band, Tony Malaby

Compositions alternated between the co-leaders of the ensemble who performed for the first time last night. Surpisingly the great long thin room was packed. Mat is simply beyond Mat these days and he was in great spirits and once he started with 'here we go' they were off with an opening catchy piece by the pianist taking some time to morph into the improvisatory sections. Cleaver was low key throughout the first set but Mat and Tony played with, without and through each other and the intensity of their improvisations was at a level rarely heard by this listener.

More later.

Btw the crowd loved it

And it swung like mad

Still.......

Coming Down the Mountain

Fwiw Malaby did nothing that would have convinced the naysayers of anything as he was more extreme in pitch and unexpected seemingly incongruous phrasing on both of his horns.

Unless one listens as a whole. Wake up in the AM realizing what one heard.

With Mat it is immediately apparent to the listener that he is on a another planet. Bass tones, deep repetitive phrasing and heavy metalish riffs with Stewarts overtones on the tuba took the music beyond what is possible.

The shortish encore to each set placed this music at the top of the class.

Best show of the year without question for me

I'd love to hear this group. Thanks for posting.

I had very high unreasonable expectations for this band and they were exceeded on all levels.

still resonating with me but the odd aspect of it is I'm still not sure what I heard it was so often out of the ordinary. For listeners who have some experience with Mat or his father, you might have a bit of an idea of what I'm trying to express.

Very apt inquiry, Clunky

There are almost always moments during a set with any band that veers towards the oblique when said band has Tony Malaby in it or he is leading it that my mind and heart on some level question his methods - maybe similar to my questions about Herb Robertson with his gaggle of effects, toys, etc. but in the case of Malaby, it is all part of the package.

As a dedicated listener to him in a live setting, a little bit of ugly or even demented is necessary to receive the extreme musical rewards that in my listening experiences are more intense and and surprising than any other saxophonist I listen to.

So yes, his presence is a plus for more even reasons than that - maybe the other is that Mat and Tony together are simpatico and beyond. When I mentioned to Mat before the show that I had never seen them play together, he reminded me that for years they played together often in a variety of settings, and even though it has been rare lately, he feels like they are always playing together.

And I very much wish I had a picture of the two between sets when one or the other expressed the love for the past, present and the future. Great hearing that Tony's two favorite saxophone records ever are Crescent and Angles of Repose.

I guess in the end, Malaby is the mysterious improvisor who often eschews standard technique for his way around the horn despite the fact, he has all the technique to express it all in more standard ways. The high moments are untouchable, seemingly unreachable despite I just saw and heard a few of them reached, so of course the band is better with him.

another point is that anyone at times will pale in comparison to Mat Maneri, so my friends here and there often remind me, I try not to compare.

Get Ready to Receive Yourself

Edited by Steve Reynolds