Lanphere and Strazzeri

Larry Kart

Now have acquired three late Lanphere discs and three by the recently deceased Strazzeri. Standouts so far are Lanphere's "Like a Bird," with an organ trio, and Strazzeri's solo disc "Nobody Else But Me." Lanphere may not be as inspired on some tracks as he is on others; I'll have to check again to be sure -- the album was recorded over two days, and maybe he felt a bit better on one day -- but I'm very taken with his deep tone and overall inventiveness. Just a highly individual player. Also, the drummer on the album is Motown vet Mel Brown, who is in a laid-back Vernel Fournier bag and is in the same class.

The Strazzeri is a gem; solo playing may have brought out the best in him. What a harmonic conception/imagination, yet always rooted in melody. I'm reminded at moments of Elmo Hope. Also, bless him, Strazzeri delivers the only performance of Johnny Mandel's "Emily" I've even been able to endure. For some reason -- its coupling, I think, of harmonic subtleties and a certain melodic whininess -- that tune always makes me gag, but FS, as I thought he might, totally transforms it.