BFT #130 Discussion Thread

lipi

This is absurd, but here we go... MG's comments in bold, my answers non-bold. (Edit: Oh, c'mon now... And now it *doesn't* insist on concatenating it to my previous message. The forum software has a mind of its own, doesn't it?)

11 Now we’re definitely moving into unknown territory. I think this is what’s known as Chicago Jazz and sounds like what we furriners here call ‘Dixieland’ or ‘Trad’. I think it could be anyone and almost certainly is.

I love your description. You'll find out who it is soon enough--I won't hint any.

12 Phew this is nice! Just piano and trumpet. Could it be Tatum? Never heard him; too much piano for me.

You've never heard Tatum?!?! I don't have enough question marks and exclamation marks at hand. I have to use these things:

Anyway, not heard Tatum... Luckily this BFT will have fixed that. This, however, is not Tatum. :) Hot Ptah correctly identified it above.

13 Cor, ravishing rhythm section! I think the clarinet player might be Buster Bailey. Could the guitarist be Al Casey or, more likely, Teddy Bunn?

Nope on all counts. Thom Keith was going the right direction on this and the previous track before he started second-guessing himself. :)

14 OK, after a quick cough and drag, on we go, with a long one. Big swing band with bicycle bells. Lots of gimmicks in here. Must be a white band. I’m going to guess Benny Goodman, because it’s so efficient and well organised.

Thom Keith identified this (but I didn't confirm it at the time--it seems like we're well into post-all-your-spoilers territory, so less coyness from me from here on out). It is indeed Goodman.

I assume Jeff knows, but any of the rest of you lot know more about this recording? Page, if she gets around to posting, maybe...?

15 Bet this is Woody Herman’s band. Sounds as if it’s a live recording. Well, it could be Goodman again with Krupa on drums. Oh yes, live. On balance, I’ll plump for Goodman & Krupa.

Nope, but Thom knew it again.

16 ‘Tea for two’ played by clarinet and rhythm; oh and trumpet. I reckon this is someone I know I’ve hardly ever heard – Pee Wee Russell. Oh, a live job again. Vibes player sounds like Hamp but has a lighter touch. Dunno Guv. Very enthusiastic, like a JATP job.

Like a JATP job, indeed (though not JATP), but it's not. It's not Russell.

(Hey Thom, did you mean "Two to Tango" when you mentioned Lester's vocal version? Or is there a vocal of "Tea for Two" that I don't know of...? The "Two to Tango" is somewhere between hilarious and very sad.)

[...skipping a few...]

19 Strauss waltz – the skaters? By a slightly amplified guitarist with very SERIOUS chops. Could this be a guy who’s been often mentioned on the board – Oscar Aleman? I know I’ve NEVER heard this player before. And struth he’s damn fine! WOW!

Yes, it *is* traditionally a waltz! I don't think (any of the) Strauss(es) used it as a theme (or if they did, I'm blanking now), but it is a well known tune. Hardbopjazz identified the artist immediately--it's not Aleman. (Aside: Aleman is absolutely worth hearing, especially since you expressed interest in Django.)

20 Sister Rosetta Tharpe but not with Lucky Millinder’s band.

Not a bad guess at all! Jeff correctly identified this. There's definitely some Sister Rosetta in her voice.

21 No, I’m lost here; gotta getta cuppa tea. Start again. Sounds like a fifties recording. Everyone’s taking a turn and then another one, but I think the pianner player’s the boss here. Well, this is just a bunch of jazz musicians playing jazz.

Jeff couldn't ID this either (which pleased me immensely, of course). It's later than you guessed, and it's, perhaps surprisingly given both your and Jeff's comments, all about the trumpet player.

22 Very interesting time here. Sounds like an old player teaching young ‘uns what all this modern stuff is all about… REALLY. (Or it’s Ray Bryant :D)

:D

No comment for now. I already mumbled something in response to Jeff's comment.

23 Modern recording of a New Orleans Band. Very nice indeed.

A New Orleans Band by sound, but geographically quite far removed from New Orleans.

24 This has to be recent – ie since the sixties. Smiley. Nice.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Wow! What a NICE BFT! Thank you Alex, that was really enjoyable; a treat on wheels!

I’ve got to say, this wasn’t quite what I expected, though I’m not disappointed. But I thought there’d be a lot more of important but little known bands like McKinney’s Cottonpickers, Bennie Moten, Edgar Hayes, Mills Blue Rhythm Band, Andy Kirk’s Clouds of Joy, even Jelly Roll Morton or Cab Calloway. You could have really got me on bands I think I know better than I really do and I approached the BFT with not a little trepidation. Still, there’s so very much to choose from. And it’s nice to hear something smashing you don’t think you’ve got and find you do have it, you know :)

Picking was difficult. I had slightly lesser known bands like you mentioned in my two previous BFT's, and the result was that most people were completely lost. I figured I'd try this instead. People may still be lost, but there's a lot more to connect the tracks (and to talk about) here--I think? Hope? Something?

Thanks for playing, and for sticking your neck out with guesses! Curious to hear any further thoughts you might have, of course.

Edited by alex.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the piano on #22 a lot. Struck by how very different BFT #130 is from my BFT#129, opposite ends of a spectrum, and jazz has many spectrums. Big Tent for that term jazz, isn't there?

Yup! I'm mostly happy in my little corner of the tent, but it's occasionally amusing to venture out and hear what the other corners are like.

I'm glad you enjoyed track 22. As I mentioned in reply to another message, that's definitely the most "modern" of the recordings on here. I hope that some of the others will prove interesting, even if they're not exactly your preference. :)

Okay, I'm going to start easing my way back in - continuing backwards, since I started that way. I'm reading everyone's comments, since I pretty much know what everything is.

18. I see that Thom Keith recognized Ed Hall. This is Sidney Bechet's "Petite Fleur," from Hall's wonderful 1958 United Artists album. This is a great demonstration that a master musician can keep pretty close to the melody and still produce great jazz. And I love Ellis Larkin's understated piano solo, as well as the rhythm section groove. Some of Hall's throat tones are a little sharp (clarinetists will know what I'm talking about), but who cares? Beautiful music; the only thing that sounds funny to me is the fact that your version is stereo; I'm used to the mono LP.

It's a gorgeous, gorgeous piece of music and I'm with you all the way on your comments. I like to play this one at swing dances every now and then and watch people be a) confused and b) delighted despite usually not knowing what to do with the intro or the piano solo.

That gong at the end always makes me smile.

17. Then I said that I could ID "pretty much" everything else, I used that qualifying phrase with this track in mind, mostly. This is the one I'm least sure about. The tune is "Dippermouth Blues," aka "Sugarfoot Stomp." When I first heard it, I thought, "Oh - Bob Crosby." But I don't have this recording, and the arrangement doesn't seem to quite match the studio version. My favorite passage is the very creative piano solo, which sounds like Jess Stacy to me. (Does someone yell Stacy's name after the solo? I'm not sure). Anyway, by playing the tune this fast, they rob it of most of the depth the original King Oliver version(s) had - although the piano soloist adds some back, in a different way. But it is a fun, exciting performance.

And while admitting that I'm not sure about this one, my "official" guess is that it's a live recording of the Bob Crosby Orchestra with Jess Stacy on piano.

I actually know that this is a band you haven't listened to much, because you once told me so. (No searching through past comments and messages!)

That's not Jess Stacy. I suspect that if I tell you what that someone yells you'll be able to figure it out, though, because you're a smart cookie. So I won't tell you. :) I think you can probably figure it out if you listen carefully on good headphones. (For the rest of you: the moment we're talking about is around 1:56. There's also a name yelled around 2:29.)

I considered putting the King Oliver "Dippermouth Blues" on this BFT, but ended up spending too much time arguing with myself over the merits of the Gennett and OKeh takes. (True story.)

And no, I don't know the tune the band on track 21 is playing. It sounds very familiar, but I can't come up with a name.

I think I was a bit misleading: the tune I don't think will help too much. In fact, I'll tell you it's Bucktown Blues. However, maybe the trumpet solo? Or the trumpet break in the intro?

Further useless hint: I had a hard time finding this CD. In the end, on the trip where I was determined to look out for it, I ended up meeting the trumpet player you hear and he had one copy left. (Another almost-name-drop! I'm on a roll.)

Hey! I want this Hines and Grappelli CD! Is it this one on, "Stéphane Grappelli Meets Earl Hines" on Black Lion?

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00CK7N40E/

Yes, that's the album! Actually, the CD has two bonus cuts not on the LP, so you're a lucky lad, Alex.

I found this LP, and Earl Hines' 'Tea for two', talking to a guy ahead of me in the queue at the local post office. He was posting some LPs off somewhere, so I asked if he dealt in 2nd hand records. He invited me round and I had a look through piles and piles of rubbish, but found these and a Bennie Moten Parlophone, a Jazz Crusaders I hadn't got and an African live album. Amazing to find even those on a housing estate well known for druggies!

MG

As for pure Grappelli, I have to admit that I always find him strongest with Django. (Still, I want to hear the Earl Hines thing.) Maybe someone else has a good recommendation for Django-less Grappelli? The Ellington "Jazz Violin Sessions" comes to mind, and it's certainly fascinating (Grappelli! Nance! Asmussen on viola!), but it never really made me sigh in ecstasy like I thought it would when I first saw it or read about it.

As to your hope for recommendations for Stephane Grappelli, I think that most of his albums apart from Django are quite good. I guess I must like his playing or something! I saw him live several times in the 1970s and 1980s and he was always excellent, quite compelling. Some of my favorite albums are "Violin Summit" with Jean Luc Ponty, "Paris Encounter" with Gary Burton, and my all time favorite, the 2 LP set "Satin Doll" on Vanguard VSD 81/82--that is my go-to Grappelli album. I don't know if all of this 2 LP set has been reissued on CD or how or where. But it is really worth hearing, I think. The Grappelli-Ponty album works surprisingly well, and has a jaunty energy to it that I find very appealing.

I did a little bit of online searching and the "Satin Doll" double LP is on CD: http://www.discogs.com/St%C3%A9phane-Grappelli-Satin-Doll/release/2660899

Edited by Hot Ptah

As to your hope for recommendations for Stephane Grappelli, I think that most of his albums apart from Django are quite good. I guess I must like his playing or something! I saw him live several times in the 1970s and 1980s and he was always excellent, quite compelling. Some of my favorite albums are "Violin Summit" with Jean Luc Ponty, "Paris Encounter" with Gary Burton, and my all time favorite, the 2 LP set "Satin Doll" on Vanguard VSD 81/82--that is my go-to Grappelli album. I don't know if all of this 2 LP set has been reissued on CD or how or where. But it is really worth hearing, I think. The Grappelli-Ponty album works surprisingly well, and has a jaunty energy to it that I find very appealing.

I did a little bit of online searching and the "Satin Doll" double LP is on CD: http://www.discogs.com/St%C3%A9phane-Grappelli-Satin-Doll/release/2660899

Thanks! That looks awesome!

Hi Alex,
sorry to have kept you waiting. Like I've said I didn't saw your opening post until today. I still hope to find at least two more and/or more details like composer and personnel from/on the recordings. I really like your BFT. It reminds me of the time I watched the old movies on the tele when I was a girl. It was much later just about 10 years a go, lol) that I discovered they all had jazz and that was probably why I liked to watch them in the first place. These are my comments so far.

2. Miss Brown to you – Billie Holiday, Teddy Wilson and his Orchestra, this was recorded on July, 2 1935 at 1776, Broadway in New York. I’m not sure which album, since it appeared on several. It was originally released 1935. I, of course, recognized her voice immediately, but had never heard the song. Lovely!

3. Minor Swing – Django Reinhardt Stéphane Grapelli
from the album, The Best of Django Reinhardt - Blue Note - 1996
Quintette du Hot Club de France
personnel:
Django Reinhardt – guitar, Stéphane Grappelli – violin, Joseph Reinhardt – guitar, Eugene Vees – guitar, Louis Vola – bass
Composed by Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli
This was recorded in Paris, the 25th of November, 1937

Here too, I recognized Django’s playing. Nice song. I thought I had heard 2 violins, but I guess that is not the case. I saw the entire album posted on youtube and listened. I’ve decided to put it on my wish list.

4. Lester Young – Oh Lady be Good – album Ken Burns jazz Lester Young 2000. Nice song, reminds me of a song I had to play as a child when I had piano lessons.

5. Ah, I love this one. I think it is Bessie Smith – St Louis Blues from 1925. I’m not sure exactly since I haven’t been able to find the exact match to compare it. It could be on the 78, St Louis Blues with also “Reckless Blues” recorded on 1925 january the14th. or maybe on
the album from 1956 Colombia: The Bessie Smith story. : Vol. 1 Bessie Smith with Louis Armstrong.
In both cases, personnel: Louis Armstrong – trumpet, Fred Longshaw – reed organ, Bessie Smith – vocals.

6. Lionel Hampton and his Orchestra 1998 – Swingsation label GRP – song Flyin’ Home. I’m not sure whether it is the first or the second, since I could only listen to the first one which seems to be it.
This really reminds me of the time that I watched all those old movies on tv when I was a girl. They were usually on on a Saturday afternoon and while my brothers were playing outside, I was watching the movie, lol.

7. The C jam blues - Duke Ellington Orchestra, originally from 1942. Not sure from which album it is.
Could be from The Blanton-Webster band LP from 1990.
The recording is of Duke Ellington and his orchestra featuring Ben Webster, tenor sax, and Jimmy Blanton, bass. This was recorded 1940 till 42 in Chicago, Hollywood, Calif. and New York.
or it could be on
Duke Ellington - Never No Lament: The Blanton-Webster Band – 2003. The Recording of this album was from Date March 6, 1940 - July 28, 1942

8. song Lester’s Dream by Lester Young
The Benny Goodman sextet. I recognized Benny Goodman’s playing, or at least I thought of him straight away. It appeared on so many albums, so I’m not sure, the recording took place at New York, October 28th, 1940. Personnel: Artie Bernstein – bass, Benny Goodman – clarinet, Jo Jones – drums, Charlie Christian – electric guitar, Count Basie – piano, Lester Young – tenor sax, Buck Clayton – trumpet.
I think on this album, but I can’t be really sure since I can’t be sure it is the exact match and whether it was recorded another time too.
Charlie Christian 1998 – Genius of Electric Guitar (Giants of jazz)

11. song: Canal Street Blues King Oliver – King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band
recorded, I think at April 6, 1923 or on the 31th of March – Richmond, Indiana. personnel: Bill Johnson – banjo, Johnny Dodds – clarinet, King Oliver – cornet, Warren Baby Dodds – drums, Lil Hardin’ – piano, Honore Dutrey – trombone. Louis Armstrong isn’t listed for this particularly track or at least not mentioned, but he played 2e cornet in this band usually, so that seems weird. I’ve read that Louis Armstrong had to play outside of the room not to overpower the other players.
Not sure from what album since it appeared on several. Takes you to New Orleans in your mind, right?!

13. song: Perdido Street Blues – Lil Hardin’ composer
Louis Armstrong – New York, May the 27th 1940
personnel: Wellman Braud – bass, Sidney Behet – clarinet and Soprano sax, Arthur “Zutty” Singleton – drums, Bernard Addison – guitar, Luis Russel – piano and leader, Claude Jones – trombone, Louis Armstrong - Trumpet,

14. “All the cats join” in composed by Wilder, Sauter and Gilbert. Benny Goodman and his orchestra - vocal Chorus by Liza Morrow and Benny Goodman single nr 36967 Columbia foxtrot from Make Mine Music – 1946 Appeared with another song Don’t be a baby, baby. From Make Mine Music. I see you need a Columbia needle for the perfect sound. J
Recorded at February the 6th, 1946 in Hollywood personnel: Bill Shine – alto, Gerry Sanfino – alto, Danny Banks – baritone, Barney Spieler – bass, Benny Goodman – leader and clarinet, Ralph Collier – drums, Mike Bryan – guitar, Mel Powel – piano, Frank LePinto – tenor, Gish Gilbertson – tenor, Eddie Benson – trombone, Hoyt Bohannon – trombone, Lou McGarity – trombone, Bernie Privin – trumpet, Brody Schroff – trumpet, Johnny Best – trumpet, Nate Kazebier – trumpet, Vibraphone – Liza Morrow. vocals – Benny Goodman and his orchestra (with chorus by Benny Goodman and Liza Morrow), arrangement Johnny Thompson.

Really nice song.

I still hope to find number 20 and 24 which I like both very much. Number 20 probably has the title "On survival day". I haven't come to look for the details yet, since I just went to look for the songs in the order of appearance.
Thanks for a lovely trip down to memory lane!
Kind regards, page

Edited by page

Sorry I haven't had more time to listen and respond this month, Alex! (I'm cleaning 45 years worth of stuff out of my parents' house to get it ready to sell.)

Nice curveball on #8. I'm surprised nobody guessed the very famous clarinetist earlier. And I'm surprised it took so long for somebody to get #11.

Did I miss it earlier in the thread, or is it true that nobody's guessed the very, very famous #10 yet?

Sorry I haven't had more time to listen and respond this month, Alex! (I'm cleaning 45 years worth of stuff out of my parents' house to get it ready to sell.)

Nice curveball on #8. I'm surprised nobody guessed the very famous clarinetist earlier. And I'm surprised it took so long for somebody to get #11.

Did I miss it earlier in the thread, or is it true that nobody's guessed the very, very famous #10 yet?

No one has identified #10 yet. It's all yours!!!

8. song Lester’s Dream by Lester Young

The Benny Goodman sextet. I recognized Benny Goodman’s playing, or at least I thought of him straight away. It appeared on so many albums, so I’m not sure, the recording took place at New York, October 28th, 1940. Personnel: Artie Bernstein – bass, Benny Goodman – clarinet, Jo Jones – drums, Charlie Christian – electric guitar, Count Basie – piano, Lester Young – tenor sax, Buck Clayton – trumpet.

yep, that is from the October 28th, 1940 session with lester. i guess/hope i'm better at recognizing lester's post-basie playing. the sax tone just doesn't sound like him to me. his post-basie is much lighter.

Edited by l p

Great job, page! Those were all pretty much correct. As l p already mentioned, the "Lester Leaps In" is indeed from the October 1940 session. (The other recordings you refer to are two takes from 1939, and neither have Benny Goodman or Charlie Christian. They're still great recordings, though.)

11. song: Canal Street Blues King Oliver – King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band

recorded, I think at April 6, 1923 or on the 31th of March – Richmond, Indiana. personnel: Bill Johnson – banjo, Johnny Dodds – clarinet, King Oliver – cornet, Warren Baby Dodds – drums, Lil Hardin’ – piano, Honore Dutrey – trombone. Louis Armstrong isn’t listed for this particularly track or at least not mentioned, but he played 2e cornet in this band usually, so that seems weird. I’ve read that Louis Armstrong had to play outside of the room not to overpower the other players.
Not sure from what album since it appeared on several. Takes you to New Orleans in your mind, right?!

Armstrong *is* on that recording according to all discographies. I don't have proof of this next bit, but I suspect that Armstrong and Oliver are alternating measures during the introduction and first chorus. To my annoyance, neither Willems' "All of Me" nor Wright's "King Oliver" make any mention of Armstrong's role during this recording session (outside of just mentioning him), so I don't even get to make an argument-by-authority. :)

13. song: Perdido Street Blues – Lil Hardin’ composer

Louis Armstrong – New York, May the 27th 1940
personnel: Wellman Braud – bass, Sidney Behet – clarinet and Soprano sax, Arthur “Zutty” Singleton – drums, Bernard Addison – guitar, Luis Russel – piano and leader, Claude Jones – trombone, Louis Armstrong - Trumpet,

This is my favourite recording of this song. Jeffcrom included the Lil Hardin/Johnny Dodds (New Orleans Wanderers) 1926 recording, which many consider definitive. I prefer the fire of Armstrong and Bechet to the more restrained heat of Mitchell and Dodds (though, as I suspect I mentioned in that BFT, there is a sustained note Dodds slides into when he enters that gives me goosebumps every time).

14. “All the cats join” in composed by Wilder, Sauter and Gilbert. Benny Goodman and his orchestra - vocal Chorus by Liza Morrow and Benny Goodman single nr 36967 Columbia foxtrot from Make Mine Music – 1946 Appeared with another song Don’t be a baby, baby. From Make Mine Music. I see you need a Columbia needle for the perfect sound. J
Recorded at February the 6th, 1946 in Hollywood personnel: Bill Shine – alto, Gerry Sanfino – alto, Danny Banks – baritone, Barney Spieler – bass, Benny Goodman – leader and clarinet, Ralph Collier – drums, Mike Bryan – guitar, Mel Powel – piano, Frank LePinto – tenor, Gish Gilbertson – tenor, Eddie Benson – trombone, Hoyt Bohannon – trombone, Lou McGarity – trombone, Bernie Privin – trumpet, Brody Schroff – trumpet, Johnny Best – trumpet, Nate Kazebier – trumpet, Vibraphone – Liza Morrow. vocals – Benny Goodman and his orchestra (with chorus by Benny Goodman and Liza Morrow), arrangement Johnny Thompson.

Really nice song.

Given what you said when you signed up for the BFT, I suspected you'd get this one. :) Here's the animated short that accompanied it. A true delight.

20 has been identified above (so don't peek if you don't want to know). 24 is just plain hard, unless you Googlify the lyrics, of course.

Thanks for playing!

No worries. :) Pitch in whenever you find some time or feel like it.

I wasn't too surprised that it took that long to positively ID 11, though I am a little surprised no one threw out the name as a guess. (Though I think people are very shy about guessing outside their comfort zone. Believe me, I understand! I don't dare wade into the modern stuff--apart from occasionally to make nasty comments.) :D

And, yes, as Hot Ptah mentioned, no one has dared touch 10 yet. Go ahead and lay the knowledge on us!

Jeff? Are you reading this? I think it's fair game for you to wade in and mop up now, too. :) Let's argue about Perdido (maybe), and then I can also explain why I picked tracks 11, 21, and 23, and how you very narrowly escaped hearing a terrible, terrible recording as track 25.

10 Sure I don’t know this but the guitarist reminds me of the guitarist who was on some of the Hot Five recordings (‘Savoy blues’?), can’t remember his name. This is really good. The trumpet player sounds like Louis Armstrong, but EVERYONE sounds like him, even Big John Patton. But an afterthought suggests it might be Roy Eldridge.

Nope on all counts. Are you thinking of Johnny St. Cyr, who was on "Savoy Blues"? No, it's not him. Random factoid: Lonnie Johnson (guitarist on some other Hot Five sides) and *this* guitarist recorded together in 1929, and the stuff they produced was wonderful.

The brass player is the key here, and should be the easiest of the bunch to recognize.

I was actually thinking of Lonnie Johnson :D

Anyway, your clue leads me, after much cudgelling of my memory, to Eddie Lang.

And if it IS Eddie Lang, then one candidate for the brass man is Bix. So that's my guess #2.

MG

And if it IS Eddie Lang, then one candidate for the brass man is Bix. So that's my guess #2.

MG

I *almost* wrote "I bet you're thinking of Lonnie Johnson, but it was actually St Cyr on 'Savoy Blues'"! Hah. And, yes! Eddie Lang and Bix it is. I'll let Spoontooneous fill in the rest.

MG

I *almost* wrote "I bet you're thinking of Lonnie Johnson, but it was actually St Cyr on 'Savoy Blues'"! Hah. And, yes! Eddie Lang and Bix it is. I'll let Spoontooneous fill in the rest.

Yes, when I thought about it last night, I realised that it must have been St Cyr on banjo I'd been hearing, not Johnson on guitar.

Clorf ears.

MG

I don't want to know, so I don't peek. That's why I hadn't seen your instructions in your first post. During my first BFT I turned off the notifying option, so I wouldn't get the replies by e-mail which can cause to see the answers by accident. So I only get mail when I get a pm.

I've found two more, or at least I hope so:

10.Singin’ the blues (till my daddy comes home) – composer – Con Conrad, J.Russel Robinson, Joe Young, Sam M. Lewis
Frankie Trumbauer And His Orchestra with Bix and Lang, Okeh – 40772-B New York, February 4, 1927 – Okeh Phonograph Corporation (with on the A side – Clarinet Marmalade (with Bix) )
Fud Livingston – arrangement
personnel: Jimmy Dorsey – clarinet & alto, Bix Beiderbecke – cornet, Chaunsey Morehouse – drums, Eddie Lang – guitar, Paul Mertz – piano, Frank Trumbauer – leader & sax (C-melody). Bill Rank – trombone.
This song was used in a movie by Woody Allen: “From Bullets over Broadway “ in 1994. I don’t think I saw that one.

20. On revival day – composer: Andy Razaf
LaVern Baker sings Bessie Smith – release 27th of January 1958
Atlantic 1281 LP
arrangement – Phil Moore
personnel: Sahib Shihab – baritone, Wendell Marshall – bass, Joe Marshall – drums, Danny Barker – guitar, Nat Pierce – piano, Paul Quincette – tenor, Vic Dickenson – trombone, Buck Clayton – trumpet, LaVern Baker – vocals.

What was rather a nice surprise for me to discover, was that the single with this recording came out in the Netherlands as well. Unfortunately I was still hiding in my father's binoculars so to speak. ha. Not that my father played jazz records, a pity and we only had a radio when I was little.
What a voice she has. A real soulful one, stunning yes!
Song originally from 1930 recorded by Bessy Smith.

Thanks MG and HP for the kind words. MG, what does "Cor" mean?

Edited by page

I don't want to know, so I don't peek. That's why I hadn't seen your instructions in your first post. During my first BFT I turned off the notifying option, so I wouldn't get the replies by e-mail which can cause to see the answers by accident. So I only get mail when I get a pm.

I've found two more, or at least I hope so:

10.Singin’ the blues (till my daddy comes home) – composer – Con Conrad, J.Russel Robinson, Joe Young, Sam M. Lewis

Frankie Trumbauer And His Orchestra with Bix and Lang, Okeh – 40772-B New York, February 4, 1927 – Okeh Phonograph Corporation (with on the A side – Clarinet Marmalade (with Bix) )

Fud Livingston – arrangement

personnel: Jimmy Dorsey – clarinet & alto, Bix Beiderbecke – cornet, Chaunsey Morehouse – drums, Eddie Lang – guitar, Paul Mertz – piano, Frank Trumbauer – leader & sax (C-melody). Bill Rank – trombone.

This song was used in a movie by Woody Allen: “From Bullets over Broadway “ in 1994. I don’t think I saw that one.

20. On revival day – composer: Andy Razaf

LaVern Baker sings Bessie Smith – release 27th of January 1958

Atlantic 1281 LP

arrangement – Phil Moore

personnel: Sahib Shihab – baritone, Wendell Marshall – bass, Joe Marshall – drums, Danny Barker – guitar, Nat Pierce – piano, Paul Quincette – tenor, Vic Dickenson – trombone, Buck Clayton – trumpet, LaVern Baker – vocals.

What was rather a nice surprise for me to discover, was that the single with this recording came out in the Netherlands as well. Unfortunately I was still hiding in my father's binoculars so to speak. ha. Not that my father played jazz records, a pity and we only had a radio when I was little.

What a voice she has. A real soulful one, stunning yes!

Song originally from 1930 recorded by Bessy Smith.

Thanks MG and HP for the kind words. MG, what does "Cor" mean?

Yes, well done! 20 was identified earlier, but other than a vote for Bix from MG and some coy indications of knowledge from Spoontooneous 10 had not been ID'ed. And I finally figured out what "windmill area" means in your profile. Waar in Nederland woon je?

("Cor" is an interjection indicating surprise. Similar to "geez" in US English or "jeetje" in Dutch--and it even shares the same sort of roots, being a bastardization of "God".)

Thanks for the translation, Alex. I wouldn't have remembered the derivation of 'Cor' but, now you mention it, I remember, as a little boy of four or five, my Irish nanny used to tell me not to say 'Cor blimey', as it meant 'God blind me' and he might.

So where did you learn Dutch (not to mention proper English as it's spoke here), Alex?

MG

So where did you learn Dutch (not to mention proper English as it's spoke here), Alex?

I grew up in the Netherlands, hence both the Dutch and the proper English orthography, rather than what passes for correct spelling over in the heathen lands of milk and honey I presently inhabit.

I grew up in the Netherlands, hence both the Dutch and the proper English orthography, rather than what passes for correct spelling over in the heathen lands of milk and honey I presently inhabit.

:D

MG

Yes, well done! 20 was identified earlier, but other than a vote for Bix from MG and some coy indications of knowledge from Spoontooneous 10 had not been ID'ed. And I finally figured out what "windmill area" means in your profile. Waar in Nederland woon je?

("Cor" is an interjection indicating surprise. Similar to "geez" in US English or "jeetje" in Dutch--and it even shares the same sort of roots, being a bastardization of "God".)

Thanks. I remembered about Bix since a friend mentioned him last year. I'm in the west, Noord-Holland. (Alex asked me where I am from). Yeah, I just used the cliché since it is true.

I see, so a sort of abbreviation. How long ago did you emigrate to the U.S. if I may ask?

Cor! You're much better than me at this, Page!

(And I've GOT 'Perdido St blues' on the Armstrong Decca Mosaic set!)

MG

Thank again MG, but I think you are thinking too highly of me. I don't know all of this by heart, I just try to solve the puzzle while looking at it as like in the dictionary. I always try to find out if a song was registered like at BMI or ASCAP. That way you'll know where to start looking or what to look for since there might be publishing details etc. Since I began to register my own songs a few years ago, I've learned a bit about different methods of registration and copyright etc. One time I was shocked, since I thought I had violated one of the copyright rules with a title I had for one of my poems/songs when I found a poem with the same title. I had come up with it myself, it were my words, but apparently someone came up with the same some time before me. Just the title btw, the content was different of course. It was a relieve to discover that there isn't copyright on titles itself, unless it is a wellknown trademark. I enjoy finding out details of songs I like and discover so more about the circumstances when it was recorded. That is fun. :)

Edited by page

How long ago did you emigrate to the U.S. if I may ask?

1995, immediately after finishing the VWO.

Total thread derailment: any recommendations for record shops? I tend to mostly go to Utrecht and Amsterdam when I visit, but am curious about anywhere really. My current favourite is Concerto on the Utrechtsestraat in A'dam.

Wow, that must have been an adventure!

That's my favourite one too. We discussed a list of shops in Holland some time ago. I think it was because bebop visited Amsterdam. I'll look whether I can find it for you and give you a link.

Well back to the topic:
9. Doctor Jazz Stomp – Joseph (Joe King) Oliver , Walter Melrose
Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers – Victor Records Chicago – Electrola Europe, december 16th, 1926, A - 37257 (Victor matrix BE-37257) - Electrola EG-7907 10”
personnel: John Lindsay – bass, Omer Simeon – clarinet, George Mitchell – cornet, Andrew Hilaire – drums, Johnny St. Cyr – guitar, Jelly Roll Morton – leader and piano, Kid Ory – trombone

“The music is listed as being composed by Walter Melrose and King Oliver. Oliver was actually the sole composer with Melrose, owner of Melrose Publishing, adding his name as he had a hand in changing the arrangement to suit Morton's playing style.” a quote from Preservationhall ( was established in 1961 to preserve, perpetuate and protect traditional new Orleans Jazz. Operating as a music venue, a touring band a record label, and a non-profit organization, Preservation Hall continues their mission today as a cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture. )
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preservation_Hall

24. Asylum Street Spankers – Volkswagen Thing - album: God’s Favorite Band 2009
composer: Wammo
P.B. Shane – bass , Christina Marrs – banjo, leader Scott Marcus – drums, percussion, Sick – fiddle, harmony vocals, Nevada Newman – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, harmony vocals, Wammo – lead vocals, Guy Forsyth – resonator guitar, harmony vocals
company: Spanks-A-Lot Records 2009 – label: Yellow Dog Records YDR 1409

I discovered this song on you tube with Christina playing musical saw which is even better with this song I think. Some personnel seems to have changed. It is hard to determine exactly who is on the recording, since almost all play multiple instruments. On the live version there seems to be more harmony vocals than on the record. I wouldn't hesitate to join this band if they toured around here somewhere and they would need a vocal extra. Ha!

Here's the link of bebop's Amsterdam trip, there are mentioned a few other shops in Amsterdam and Den Haag, I think:

I think there was another thread, but I don't recall what it was called right now.

Here it is, more or less the same:

Edited by page