Roy Haynes in DC

Justin V

On the 1st, I caught Roy Haynes and his Fountain of Youth Band in DC as part of Haynes' 90th birthday tour.  It was just an overnight trip, which meant that we logged about 18 hours of driving in 36 hours.

The show was at Blues Alley, which I'd never visited before.  We showed up over two hours in advance to get our pick of seats and our early arrival was rewarded with a table next to the drums.  I literally could reach out and touch Haynes's hi-hat from where I sat.  I'd seen Roy Haynes with his band in Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh and once in Detroit with Chick Corea's Freedom Band (w/ Kenny Garrett and Christian McBride); however, this was the first time seeing him in a club setting.  To be right next to the drums in an intimate environment was something that I will never forget.

As always, Roy Haynes continues to surprise and delight with his inventiveness and how he responds in the moment.  During the first song, while he was adjusting his drums and taking off his jacket, he still hit at the right times.  Haynes behind the kit is like a percussion orchestra exploring the full range of the drums with sticks, brushes and mallets (he even used his hand on the hi-hat once); at different times during the night, he played on the rims and stands and rattled his stick between the shells of the drums.  For as fiery and propulsive a drummer as he is, it's also fascinating to hear him on ballads.  There were only a couple of ballads throughout the night (the first set's ballad was 'Round Midnight'), but the sensitivity Haynes demonstrated and the momentum he provided went way beyond the type of ballad drumming you might hear from other drummers.  On one of the ballads, he tapped his foot on the bandstand in lieu of using the bass drum, which showed an exemplary attention to detail and dynamics.

He talked between songs about every moment being precious, and that zest for life was evident in his playing, facial expressions and general demeanor.  On the ballads, he had this dream-like smile on his face with his eyes half-closed, and you could see and hear how into the music and the moment he was.  Being so close to him, I could also hear him humming the melody of the tune at times. During one section of a song, he would do a drum hit and then turn around on his drum throne.  Being seated where I was, I could see the huge smile on his face every time he turned around.  As if his drumming wasn't proof enough that Roy Haynes is an ageless marvel, he tap-danced across the cluttered stage.

That enthusiasm was infectious.  Roy Haynes engaged the audience in some back-and-forth banter and told some stories about coming up in Boston and the beginning of his career.  He talked about being the kid who would be drumming on his desk and having the other kids in class checking him out instead of paying attention to the teacher.  At 90, it's easy to imagine Haynes as that irrepressible youth because he is still that mischievous, hip showman.

His band has remained intact for several years now, with pianist Martin Bejerano (with Haynes for 14 years), saxophonist Jaleel Shaw (10 years) and bassist David Wong (9 years).  Having seen the band several times now, I was struck by how much the band continues to grow, both as a unit and as individuals.

Wong has clearly soaked up a lot of Haynes's rhythmic flexibility, with his playing ranging from rock-solid timekeeping to a very loose style that meshed perfectly with Haynes's drumming.  His solos were melodic and adventurous, and Haynes would open things up by laying back a bit.  

Jaleel Shaw can sustain momentum (and interest) and build a solo that raises in intensity throughout.  Like his other bandmates, he has an unassuming confidence about him.  With his full tone and total command of his instruments, it's hard to imagine Haynes's band without him.  It was cool to see Haynes quieting the crowd's applause during a Shaw solo so that he and/or the crowd could hear what Shaw would do next.  

Martin Bejerano is another young musician who continues to grow during his tenure with Haynes.  With Haynes and Wong being so loose and interactive, Bejerano has a lot of freedom to work with in his solos and comping.  Like his bandmates, he is mature beyond his years in his approach to his instrument.

Haynes gave each of his younger colleagues a chance to speak, and they all displayed a deep affection and respect for Haynes.  I can't imagine what it must be like to share a stage with a master like Haynes for so many years at a young age.  I don't think that I'd ever get past the 'I'm on stage with Roy Haynes!' voice in my head, but the stage has never proven to be too big for them.  Knowing how much of himself Haynes gives to the music and the confidence he must have in them, his band thrives in his company and each member is consistently inspired.  I also found myself thinking about the continuum of the music and how Haynes's influence will continue on in the ensuing decades through these long-serving sidemen.

It's pretty funny to see the band be the straight men to Haynes's comedic asides, like when he tried to get each member to sing along to Kenny Rogers' 'The Gambler'.  First try: Shaw.  No dice.  Second try: Wong.  No luck.  Last try: Bejerano, who launched into a surprisingly enthusiastic piano rendition of the country tune.   Haynes did get a lady from the audience to come on stage and sing along.  The audience was game, too, joining in on 'The Gambler' and also singing 'Happy Birthday' to Haynes during the first set.

The night came to a close with fearless, intense, thunderous versions of 'Green Chimneys' and 'Summer Night', which had the band firing on all cylinders and caused the crowd to give a well-deserved standing ovation. It was a great night and an honor as always to see Haynes, who is still at the top of his game, with his outstanding band.  

Roy%20Haynes%20DC.jpg

Edited by Justin V