Fish fingers turn 60: how Britain fell for not-very-fishy sticks of frozen protein

Fish fingers turn 60: how Britain fell for not-very-fishy sticks of frozen protein

Fish fingers

I love fish fingers...the gastronomic equivalent of needing to listen to The Carpenters or The Sound of Music every once in a while. Baked beans fall into the same category.

And it seems they are exactly the same age as me. 

Though I've always had a little guilt after hearing Leon Rosselson's song:

Whovever invented the fishfinger,
 ought to be transmogrified.
 Skinned mashed and boxed, into uniform blocks,
 then covered all over, from collar to socks,
 and frozen and finally fried.

Because who'd do that to a fish,
     finning its way through the seas,
     Colours in harmony, perfectly poised,
     riding its flying trapeze.

And progress, is all very well,
     but not when it chops up our dreams.
     And it's hard to feel, at ease in the world,
     when nothing is what it seems.

The song then becomes very political taking on the Daily Mail and the police. 

Suspect the joy in fish fingers is a very British thing. A bit like grits in the southern USA...doesn't travel well. 

I'm nearly exactly the same age as both of you, Bev.  I want to say that these were a popular choice at public schools (among the people providing and serving them, not among the kids who were expected to eat them) before they were a popular choice among housewives.  I think I may have preferred other options when lunchtime rolled around at Dover School (like a stalk of celery with peanut butter, or better yet a bologna sandwich), but I eventually warmed to the idea as years went by.  Much easier to accept one from a loving housewife than some strange woman in a smock and a hair net.

And yes, it was "sticks" out here.

As Sangrey mentioned above we've had these in the US for as long as I can remember, we just call them "Fish Sticks" instead.  

Doctor Who loves "Fish Fingers & Custard", in the States that concoction would be "Fish Sticks & Pudding".  

FishSticks.png

Edited by Shawn

I would like to point out that I am currently waiting for baked sea bass* on a bed of fresh vegetables (carrots, aubergines, courgettes etc) to come to perfection.

Fish fingers are a fortnightly treat when I just want something quick. Never eaten them in a sandwich - tend to go for mash and peas. 

(I never pronounce this right in restaurants - always say it like the instrument and get mocked mercilessly for being obsessed with music)

As Sangrey mentioned above we've had these in the US for as long as I can remember, we just call them "Fish Sticks" instead.  

Doctor Who loves "Fish Fingers & Custard", in the States that concoction would be "Fish Sticks & Pudding".  

FishSticks.png

The most famous brand in Britain also made full use of the nautical allusions:

captain_birdseye.jpg

Captain Birdseye was a household name in the 70s. Don't know if he is still used - I buy supermarket own brand. 

It should be noted that:

1. Not only do chicken have fingers, so do steak.
  2. Whatever fish might have begun as, fingers or sticks, they have now mutated into shapes. Fish shapes. Go to lunch with your closest elementary school family member on the right day and "sea" for yourself.
  3. Pig have always had feet and knuckles, both quite the tasty, yet never that I know of, fingers. Or toes.

Proof positive that once you start to eat something, evolution will do or not do what it will do.

Ol' Cappy there was originally from American, so I'd not trust him to science your food. You know how we do.

Just sayin'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Birdseye

I would like to point out that I am currently waiting for baked sea bass* on a bed of fresh vegetables (carrots, aubergines, courgettes etc) to come to perfection.

Fish fingers are a fortnightly treat when I just want something quick. Never eaten them in a sandwich - tend to go for mash and peas. 

(I never pronounce this right in restaurants - always say it like the instrument and get mocked mercilessly for being obsessed with music)

FishSticks.png

The most famous brand in Britain also made full use of the nautical allusions:

captain_birdseye.jpg

Captain Birdseye was a household name in the 70s. Don't know if he is still used - I buy supermarket own brand. 

"Sea" bass is something which bugs me greatly. When I was a lad (and I'm a good few years younger than fish fingers), bass that came out of the sea was just called bass. I don't know why it became "sea" bass. I always felt it was an affectation of culinary types, like calling mash "country mash", or calling gravy "jus". 

Edited by rdavenport

It's ok to keep the "sea" in sea bass. that distinguishes it from the various lake basses that are so plentiful, so delicious, and the target of so many anglers world wide

And which are also members of the perch/sunfish family, which the sea bass is not.

TMI here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070912195109AA4GLqm

All of this remind me...I love to fish, and have not really done so in 20+ years. The sport is fun enough (I once pulled in a 16 lb. striper, and WHOA!), but the eating is the real treat. Fish so fresh you can still taste the lake (or ocean), which is a good thing if the water is clean.

Best served in a sandwich with ketchup (my pre-vegetarian memories may not wholly reliable)

I'm more into tartar sauce myself.  As a vegetarian, I still go for the vegan fish fillets from Gardein and the vegan crab cakes from Sophie's Kitchen.  I also had an excellent 'Catfish' Tofu sandwich from Detroit Vegan Soul two weeks ago.