Recent Peter Brotzmann recordings

Steve Reynolds

The great reedman has released a large amount of music over the years with some of more well known music recorded as far back as 1967 (Machine Gun, For Adolphe Sax, Nipples, etc.)

then decades later the immense series of Die Like a Dog quartets and trios and the first series of Tentet recordings when they were playing compositions 

I've found that the most recent recordings over the past 10 years or so are the most accomplished and balanced while retaining the astounding and unmatched intensity of his own playing no matter what horn he is holding.

a few of the more recent recordings for me that have become huge favorites are two trio records with PNL: The Fat is Gone, Kraków Nights - then the great Tentet recordings 3 Nights in Oslo and Walk, Love, Sleep

the box Long Story Short also contains some wonderful music with much variety

There are others but these off the top of my head from ~ 2006 - 2015 shows a man now over 70 playing with as much verve and presence as he ever did

if you havn't investigated his music or his more recent music for whatever the reason, now is as a nice a time as ever as he currently touring the States as this is written

Edited by Steve Reynolds

It seems from some interviews that Brötzmann is tired that some journalists or new followers of his music regularly bring him back to the Machine Gun sessions, his playing has evolved so much as you point out here Steve. The latest Münster Bern solo disc is also remarkable by that account. I need to get Krakow nights. Have you listened to the record with the Munich ICI ensemble which also looks interesting?

No I havn't heard the 2014 large ensemble recording. 

Krakow Nights with Swell & Nilssen-Love is a sprawling satisfying and very relaxed (at times) date with energy supplier by all three individually and collectively at pertinent times. A sure sign of mature yet vigorous and thoughtful improvisers. 

Another fairly recent recording (2008, I think?) is the 2 CD set with Brotzmann joined by McPhee, Kessler & Zerang, "The Damage is Done" on not two records. I know there are at least 2 other recordings of this quartet (another sub-set of the Tentet), but standing alone, this set has all the qualities of the above very recent trio disc with McPhee functioning as his most effective foil since Kondo. Zerang & Kessler are both very subtle strong players who rarely "impress" with theatrics - great rhythm team for the two grand masters on the front line. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds