Theater's 'Passion' tickets start with 666

DTMX

Theater's 'Passion' tickets start with 666

By NORMAN AREY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/28/04

ROME -- "The Passion of the Christ" and the devil have been inextricably joined in this rural town in northwest Georgia.

"The Passion" is showing at the Movies at Berry Square at Mount Berry Square Mall, and the machine that prints the tickets assigned the number 666, the biblical mark of the beast, as a prefix to all the tickets for the film.

The fact that triple-six and "The Passion" have been joined is purely luck of the draw, says Gary Smith, who owns the theater complex.

"It's from our computer and it's absolutely a coincidence," Smith said. "It has nothing to do with the film company or any vendor. It's completely in our computer. Several people have commented on it, but only one made a stink about it."

That person asked for her tickets to be substituted and was given passes in exchange. She declined to talk about it with a reporter, but a family spokesperson said they had found Scriptures that eased their mind on the 666 reference.

"I've got a feeling that the person who wanted us to exchange the ticket thought the devil had something to do with it," Smith said. "They didn't want it in their possession.

"She just said that she had this superstition about the 666 number," said Smith. "She said she just felt uncomfortable having those tickets in her possession."

Erica Diaz, who worked the ticket window Saturday, said she had heard quite a few comments about the numbering.

"A lot of people have asked what the numbers mean, some said it seemed odd, some said it was inappropriate," Diaz said.

Robin Miller, the general manager of the theater, says "The Passion" will leave its mark.

"It looks like this movie will set a record [for attendance in Rome]," she said, breaking that of "Titanic."

The movie theater is showing "The Passion" on two screens and had sold out all showings Saturday and today. Smith said he's using one auditorium for church groups exclusively.

"We're sold out for church groups for almost three weeks," he said.

666, 668 - either way they keep their TV too loud.

Now that's nutty! :g

All my siblings have seen the movie and of course believe everybody should see it.. They feel that it really impresses upon people the unfathomable sacrifice and consequent suffering Christ went through to save all of our sorry asses..

The movie from their description sounds very depressing.. The torture and beating scenes are excruciatingly long and very graphic. I personally don't feel like it's a movie I'm ready to run out and see.. My sister Sandy told me she has never seen people leave a movie so quietly and that people were weeping throughout the movie..

The tickets might start with 666, but the number is only beginning at 117 million, which is what the film made in its first 5 days of release.

The point of all this is: Don't mess with the Christ! He's obviously bigger than anyone in Hollywood gave him credit for...

;)