Ben Webster Meets Piet Noordijk

Dan Gould

http://www.jazzarchief.nl/product/ben-webster-meets-piet-noordijk/

The Don Byas release send me to the jazzarchief.nl site and this unheard concert came out in August but I don't think anyone's posted about it.  Apparently Mr. Noordijk somewhat brusquely invited himself to sit in with Ben, but Webster was up to the challenge, even at this late date (he would die within the year I believe).

Found this review:

Our CD review by Ben Webster was also recorded in 1973. A Dutch radio station made a radio broadcast on 2 February of that year from a concert in De Koffer in Groningen. The sound quality of Ben Webster meets Piet Noordijk – Johnny Come Lately is much better than the recording made in Leiden. And the concert much more spectacular.

Although Ben Webster (1909-1973) by now his deteriorating health made most of his latter performances sound mostly routine, the Groningen concert is known to be spectacular. This saxophone maestro gave us one last unmatched demonstration of his beautiful ballad playing and his wonderful growling fast numbers.

Alto saxophonist Piet Noordijk already had played a gig in the city and he decided to challenge Ben Webster in De Koffer. That resulted in a spectacular concert, with the two saxophonists chasing and stimulating each other. Pianist Irv Rochlin, bassist Rob Langereis and drummer Tony Inzalaco had to make overtime.

Piet Noordijk (1932-2011) was the most famous Dutch alto saxophonist. He played bebop as well as avant garde and free jazz. For a long time, he was a member of the famous Metropole Orchestra. In 1987 he received a Bird Award at the North Sea Jazz Festival. Saxophonist Benny Carter and bassist Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen where also honored at this famous festival.

http://jazzineurope.mfmmedia.nl/2016/09/cd-review-ben-webster-meets-piet-noordijk-johnny-come-lately/

Just ordered ...

Edit to add: Amazon Marketplace has several Japanese sellers offering for about $35 but I found it here:

http://www.cdbanq.com/Ben-Webster--Ben-Webster-Meets-Piet-Noordijk-Japan-CD-FNCJ-5618_p_235331.html

Did some searching and they seem to be a decent company and the price with shipping under $28 to the US.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 4 weeks later...

Got a chance to listen to this on the way to Naples to visit Mom. Great sound - which is fortunate because Ben skipped the sound check and wandered in to the club about five minutes before they hit.  And I have to admit I was a little concerned when I read in the liners that the pianist (who is 90+ now) remembered that Noordijk, while a good player, was drunk, and that in the moment he was thinking "this guy is ruining our gig". And, I have to say I wondered if Noordijk would indulge his 'free' tendencies but he doesn't.

Well he doesn't and Ben does sound engaged and energized.  If you're anything more than a casual fan, you need this CD. It fits right in with any of Ben's best in Europe.