Ventilator vs built-in Leslie

Egor

Hi Egor,

It depends on the style of music for me. The strengths of the Ventilator include the overdrive and the sense of 3D realism but it doesn't have the solidity in the bass that the SK's internal sim does. This works well for blues, rock, and other styles where you're not playing pedals and/or left-hand bass.

The internal sim works well for the jazz organ thing due to that bass solidity mentioned above. I especially like how the bass pedals sound with the internal sim. 

Hope that helps!
----Jim

Thx Jim!

But the SK has a built-in overdrive too. 

Yes, I do a lot of left-hand jazz (I have SK 2 at the moment. I do have MKII 2101 too but of course due to the weight I don't want to bring it on smaller gigs)

So, what you're saying the Ventilator is still pretty good but go by the style I guess. Is there a way to switch the Ventilator off and temporarily go back to SK built-in simulator if needed?

• 2 months later...

Have owned and enjoyed sk2 (for about 3 years), playing ensemble work at church with occasional bass work as needed.  Agree with Jim about bass, adding that IMHO the vent appears to emulate low bass roll-off of 122/147 a little too well.   (Played BCV-Trek3 console for years many years ago in trio environment so I know bass limits of old large Leslie very well).  Ensemble-wise there is no competition to my ear - definite advantage to vent, particularly noticeable on fast speed.  Just received XK5 in mid January, so more time needed for fair assessment.  Initial impression for XK5 is same as SK2, however. And I still haul vent to and from church engagements, so I am "walking the walk" so far with respect to my opinion of vent on XK5. My plan was to sell vent to offset cost of SK5, but not willing yet.

BTW I conducted short side-by-side comparisons, using bypass functions on NEO Vent and on both instruments.  I hope this helps.

Also, while posting, playing XK5 takes me back to "old days," only with more adjustments available.  Love it!

• 2 months later...
On 2017-03-19 at 0:13 PM, Old Master Tech said:

OK, thank you, guys! And what about the GSi BURN? The price is much better.  It has a real tube built-in. But what about the 122 simulation comparing to the Vent? 

Edited by Egor