Not Quite Jonah or Ace

As per my comment in the Where Is thread.........

The current Jazzmatazz listings of upcoming issues lists the following potential Mosaic Selects

Freddie Slack

Benny Goodman on Columbia

Seems a bit of a departure for the selects, though not the " traditonal " Mosaics

I predict that the Slack may sell as well as the Hackett

Go for it Lon :D

As per my comment in the Where Is thread.........

The current Jazzmatazz listings of upcoming issues lists the following potential Mosaic Selects

Freddie Slack

Benny Goodman on Columbia

Seems a bit of a departure for the selects, though not the " traditonal " Mosaics

I predict that the Slack may sell as well as the Hackett

Go for it Lon :D

Benny Goodman on Columbia as a Select? :blink:

What's the theme? Small groups? Small groups without Christian? (Since that material has already been issued, quite recently.)

I'll admit I don't know much about Freddie Slack, although he backs Joe Turner on the version of "Rocks in My Bed" that I used for my Ellington special.

My error, the Goodman appears to be a "normal " Mosaic. ( I had to go back and check.. 3CDs of Goodman's Columbia output seemed way too small)

these are listed in the 2004 and beyond category

Freddie Slack was responsible for Will Bradley's (?) Beat me Daddy Eight to the Bar which set him on a somewhat Boogie influenced path.

He used Ella Mae Morse on some of his records, which is a bit of a plus, but in general I think there are many more relatively neglected artists far more deserving of Mosaics time and efforts.

Similarily I feel that there is plenty of Goodman Columbia out there already.. the Christian box having quite a bit in it for one.

These could well be two Mosaics of little interest to me.

PD, in all due respect, I don't think that these are targeted to you, I don't think that Cuscuna would have considered these (and they haven't hit the street yet, I don't trust Alan's list to be GOSPEL) unless he did have a target audience in mind.

I view this thread as "Mosaics that PD Disapproves Of." Okay. But there may be a fan base asking for these that will respond with acclaim and sales. The Slack may or may not sell better than the Hackett; unless you have actual numbers from Mosaic, I wonder how you can even begin to know how well that is selling or compare it to others. The Woody Shaw and Mobley sets weren't/aren't exactly leaping off the shelves, were they mistakes to produce? The Goodman Capitol set seems to have sold well, so wouldn't that seem to make a producer think a Columbia set could as well?

Anyway, not sets that I am pretty interested in either; I have the Ella Mae Morse Bear Family set and some other Slack sides here and there, and I have a lot of Columbia Goodman in various media. But I'm not going to criticize Mosaic for thinking of producing these sets; Mosaic is not a slave to my idea of what they should direct their attention to.

Just my two cents.

Edited by jazzbo

Actuallly, what I have heard of Freddie Slack (From Will Bradley/Ray McKinley) and from Ella Mae, I have liked...enough so that I would be interested in a Mosaic set...and I haven't gotten one in a while either....The Bradley/McKinley band was pretty darn good for a commerical big band IMHO...The Heps are nice.

Good to see ya here again PD! :tup

Edited by BERIGAN

PD-Funny you title this "Not Quite "Jonah"....Was listening to one of Condon's Town Hall concerts today and Jonah performed. Was surprised at how "southern" he sounded since he was born in Louisville. Still think of KY as a border state-maybe not now.