Gurss Who?

mrjazzman

I am ecstatic. I have discovered Joey Alexander, self taught 14 yr old prodigy from Jakarta. Been playing since he was 6 yrs old and was accomplished at 8. He's coming to Yoshi's in Oakland, CA in May, have my tickets already. Had to tear myself away from youtube. Listened to dad's old jazz records, dad bought him a small keyboard.  Monk and Armstrong caught his interest and as they say, the rest is history. I'd like to thank Fate & Destiny for bringing his parents together. I've heard of self taught but this is unbelievable. Has the jazz music world ever seen anything like this. I'm sure someone will say there have been plenty of child prodigies.

Per Wikipedia:  

Early life[edit]

DeFrancesco was born in 1971 in Springfield, Pennsylvania.[9] He was born into a musical family that included three generations of jazz musicians. He was named after his grandfather, Joseph DeFrancesco, a jazz musician who played the saxophone and clarinet.[7] His father, "Papa" John DeFrancesco, was an organist who played nationally and received the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame's Living Legend Award in 2013.[10] DeFrancesco began playing the organ at the age of 4 and was playing songs by Jimmy Smith verbatim by the time he was 5. His father John began bringing him to gigs from the age of 5, letting him sit in on sets.[11] At the age of 10, DeFrancesco joined a band in Philadelphia that included jazz musicians Hank Mobley and Philly Joe Jones. He was considered a fixture at local jazz clubs, opening shows for Wynton Marsalis and B.B. King.[1]

DeFrancesco attended the Philadelphia High School for the Creative and Performing Arts.[11] During his high school years, DeFrancesco won numerous awards, including the Philadelphia Jazz Society McCoy Tyner Scholarship. He was also a finalist in the first Thelonious Monk International Jazz Piano Competition.[4]

Image result for joey defrancesco 80's