Fats Waller RCA/Bluebird recordings question

Bol

I wanted to get some of these CD sets, but find that they are all out of print. Too bad. Here is my question: How commonly or uncommonly available are these in used record stores and on ebay? Are they really rare so that if I really want them I should grab them whenever they are available with little concern for their condition? Or are they often available so that I can be discerning about conditions of copies?

Edited by Bol

Man, now that I'm reading this here I remember the many times I stumbled over these second hand. I never picked them up. There was always something else and the feeling that you could pick them up some other time. They used to be all over the place. That's one of the big problems with jazz ... things have a knack for just disappearing quietly. If you don't have an incentive or the cash to go for things pretty much straight away, they just vanish into thin air. I was just reading the thread on the West Coast Classics series and remember seeing those around ... now they are damn hard to find and I would love to have them.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

I assume RCA will put out the complete box set again - just when? Probably remastered again too. Maybe sold this time as a Box set.

Course, I'd like to see the RCA Goodman complete and Artie Shaw complete on CD too.

I'm trying to remember, was the Complete RCA Ellington ever released on LP in any series?

:rolleyes:

I'm trying to remember, was the Complete RCA Ellington ever released on LP in any series?

French RCA issued a series of 23 LPs in the '70s 'The Works of Duke Ellington' which had all the Duke RCA sides up to the 1952 concert in Seattle. With a number of alternates that were unreleased at the time.

French RCA issued a series of 23 LPs in the '70s 'The Works of Duke Ellington' which had all the Duke RCA sides up to the 1952 concert in Seattle. With a number of alternates that were unreleased at the time.

Thanks brownie,

Now I remember all those French RCA (black and white overs) reissues. I got some of the French Blues series on LP too.

Just was remembering all the funny colored 2-fer Bluebird LPs that made up of most of the other complete series. Like Fats Waller, Bunny Berigan, Glen Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey...

Edited by Tjazz