Who would you like to hear

scottb

B3er's comments in another thread about the whole world wishing George Benson would do a straight ahead jazz record prompted me to post something I've been contemplating lately.

Who from the smooth jazz world do you wish would do a straight ahead record?

My early answers would be:

1. Of course George Benson for obvious reasons.

2. Russell Malone in an organ trio. He's got that Grant Green / George Benson feel and I would like to see how he would sound in that setting.

3. Chris Botti (don't laugh) I got one of his discs with a coupon at Walmart because this was the closest thing to jazz they had. I like the disc for what it is and think he's a good player with a good tone and especially a good muted tone. His muted tone is not as harsh as Miles' (I don't hate Miles for it as some of us, or at least one of us) I would like to hear him on a record of standards. (actually caught him playing MY FUNNY VALENTINE on that TV talk show he's on and it caught my ear.)

Hmmm, and I guess I do, too. I've got the Benny Green/Malone duet disc, which I happen to really like.

Besides him, I haven't heard enough of the smooth stuff to comment ... perhaps Norah Norah Norah doing a "pure" standards disc. I'd like to see if she could pull it off.