Anything happening in Portland, OR this weekend?

Drummer Ron Steen is always playing somewhere just about every night up there. He usually has assembled a great group of local musicians for his gigs. Haven't been there in a couple of years but the jazz scene up there is usually pretty active. Mel Brown, another fantastic drummer, is usually playing somewhere also. Check out the Oregonian online or the Willamette something or other for events. You might check Tom Grant's website because he and Ron play together occasionally.

Don't rely on The Oregonian. Willamette Week has the most comprehensive listing of upcoming performances. Plus, it's free and readily available. Any coffee shop (and there are hundreds if not thousands of these) worth its salt should have them available.

As far as venues go, Jimmy Mak's is a good bet. Check their website at jimmymaks.com. That will give you a listing of upcoming gigs, location etc. Or if your nostalgic for the Brasserie, their website is brasseriemontmartre.com. Unfortunatley, Jazz de Opus closed their doors several months ago. Much is the pity.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

The former Jazz de Bogus is now a strip club (like we don't alreay have enough, this must be the dancer bar capitol of the world)--it was always too small to be a live music venue, but I did see Dexter there decades ago. The Blue Monk is also a nice venue and there is plenty is live jazz and blues around town.

Jazz De Opus closed, that's really sad. Spent many good times there. Last time I was in Portland, a place on Martin Luther King near Knott in NE Portland was about to open. Can't remember the name.

Ron Steen used to have a great jam session on Monday nights at Produce Row. All the locals turned out for it. Don't know if he still has it.

I saw Mel Brown at Jimmy Mak's and he rocked the house out. My cousin who doesn't even like jazz stayed for the last note. That was one bad band.

People associate Tom Grant with smooth mostly but he plays straight ahead beautifully. I recommend you check out his website. One of my favorite pianists.