Violinists demand pay rise ...

Violinists' fury at 'pay fiddle'

Violinists in a German orchestra are suing for a pay rise on the grounds that they play many more notes per concert than their colleagues.

BBC Online - March 24, 2004 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3564071.stm

The 16 violinists at the Beethoven Orchestra in Bonn say they work much harder than their fellow musicians.

But orchestra director Laurentius Bonitz said it was unreasonable to compare playing a musical instrument to other jobs.

Mr Bonitz said the claim, which goes to court in May, was "ridiculous".

The violinists say they should receive an extra £60 per rehearsal or performance from their employer, the city of Bonn, to reflect the "extra notes" they have to read and play.

They also claim that a collective bargaining agreement that gives bonuses to soloists is unjust.

Leading roles

German musicians earn basic monthly wages of up to £4,100, about twice as much as their British counterparts, according to the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

The musicians deny being pedantic. "We could have calculated the surcharge per semi-quaver, but we chose to take an easier course," one violinist said.

But Mr Bonitz argued that it was soloists and musicians in other leading roles, such as the orchestra's two oboe players, who should receive a pay rise.

"Maybe it's an interesting legal question but musically, it's very clear to everyone," he said.

This reminds me of some IQ-type test question I encountered in about 5th grade -- it had four pictures of musicians in a marching band and you were supposed to check the one that was "working the hardest" -- I got a "wrong" answer because I checked the flute player -- I was supposed to know the beefy guy with the tuba was the right one. But because I played the flute (assigned to it, denied the brasses because I was a girl!) and HATED it, hated the sound, hyperventilated with having to keep a constant stream of exhalation going, holding my right arm out and up at an exhausting 90-degree angle -- I thought I'd find it easier just to sling the f---ing tuba over my shoulder and puff out a "pah" once every bar.

Edited by maren