Things To Do In New York

Hey Folks,

My girlfriend and I will be travelling to the big smoke in October (Autumn In New York?), and she's been insistent that I post on here months in advance so she can plan our trip (3 days).

Feel Free to Post:

Favorite hotels

Favorite restaurants

Favorite Used CD Stores (for me)

Favorite theatres (for her)

Favorite jazz clubs

Favorite art galleries

Favorite cafes

Favorite museums....heck FAVORITE ANYTHING!!

Thanks!

Edited by undergroundagent

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Folks,

My girlfriend and I will be travelling to the big smoke in October (Autumn In New York?), and she's been insistent that I post on here months in advance so she can plan our trip (3 days).

Feel Free to Post:

Favorite hotels

Favorite restaurants

Thanks!

Favorite hotels

Favorite restaurants

As far a theatres, in Timesquare, I can't remember the name off hand. but anyway, there is a place to buy tickets for shows that haven't sold out at a dicounted price. Well worth it.

As far as museums, go to in this order.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Museum of Modern Artt,

The Museum of Natural History

and Guggenheim Museum.

If you go down to the village, make sure you vist Charlie PArker's apartment at 151 Avenue B. See the image below. http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/lpc/

As far as food, too many places. It will depend on what type of food you like to eat.

J&R for CD's. Not used, but good prices. They are located across from city hall.

My wife and I enjoy walking in the village. You'll see every kind of strange person there. Plus the Village Vanguard and the Blue Note jazz clubs are there.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Since it's just you and your girlfriend it might be nice to go with a cozy hotel

My pix:

The Paramount- Shrager & Philip Starke's smaller revisionist post modern neuvo joint . i have not stayed there since it was actually cheap.

Another would be the Roger Williams-centrally located but off the main paths. Very nicely done with Jpanese sensibility. Rooms have shoji screen window coverings, open showers and good audio set up! They also have a mezzanine with a fully stocked complimentary desert and cappucino bar that you do yourself!!

The other on the cheap is the Gershwin Hotel. Actually a funky but clean 'hostel' that gets lots of Euro traffic. On the main subway lines. Make sure you get on the lower floors as the elevator is one and slow. It is on the cheap and they do have an original Warhol in the lobby so all the money they kept from spending on the ammenities of the hotel they spent on that.

Music: see who's at Tonic and maybe S.O.B.s. The V V of course.

There is also a walking tour offered of NYC. You get to see all the historical buildings, Central Park, Time Square and other stuff like that. Only thing, you'll have to be up for walking a lot. Someone I know did this and was in pain for a week after this. I guess she wasn't use to walking.

Try to say away from the bus tours. They charge to much in my opinion.

She was thinking about the "Muse" in Time's Square?

Times Square? What's that? One of Michael Eisner's latest concepts??

the Paramount is in TS btw and right behind the Marriott Marquis so you can go over there and get a MM shuttle schedule and then seruptitiously be on your way.

The Muse looks very $nice$ from the Web. And here I was trying to save you money! :wacko:

UA,

Check out this link for theatre tix on the cheap(Keep in mind that these folks don't have every show, but if you're not fixated onone show it's a great deal):

http://www.tdf.org/index_default.html

I would rcommend going to the downtown location if possible- the lines are much smaller, so you'll spend less time waiting.The downtown location is about 7 or 8 blocks away from J&R, so you can combine the two and make both of you happy!

Near Times Square is Virgil's BBQ, a very good BBQ restaurant that is not very expensive. If you like pizza, John's on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village is fantastic, but they sell only pies and they open around 4:30 P.M.I've eaten there and the pizza is top-notch, thin crust perfection. Lombardi's in Soho is also highly regarded. There are restaurants for almost every cuisine you can think of- can you post what your favorites are, or what you're interested in trying?

Make sure you and your girlfriend are wearing comfortable shoes- while heels may look good, after walking awhile they're probably pretty painful. You will walk quite a bit. Get a hold of a subway map, and when you get to NYC buy one-day unlimited Metrocards(available at the vending machines only in the subway stations) for the cheapest way(&usually fastest) to get around.

If there's any info I can help provide, feel free to ask. I'm a native.

If you're into unique and one-of-a-kind museums, I've got one in NYC for you (sorta). It's not a museum, exactly, but it might as well be one...

My wife and I were in NY about 5 or 6 years ago, and stumbled on an antique watch store, I think it was on Madison Ave, not more than 10 or maybe 15 blocks from the Guggenheim (don't remember which direction, though). I'm sure I could find the name of it, and the exact address -- if you had any interest.

There's a vintage jewelry store here in Kansas City, and they usually have only about 20 to 30 really good vintage watches (wrist watches, we're talking here), at any one time. This store on Madison Ave. had something like 400+ vintage wrist-watches on display and for sale. Their prices were way over the top, and nothing I could ever afford, but it was fascinating just looking at all of them.

Turns out that the owner of the store is the author of what I understand is THE definitive book on antique wrist-watches, which I later saw a copy of here in Kansas City.

Of course, this sort of thing might not be of any interest to you. But the variety of wrist-watches from the entire 20th Century was staggering to see. Many, many striking models, especially those from the 30's and 40's. Here's a random sampling from the first site I found with Google.

5418.jpg5420.jpg5424.jpg5398.jpg

5373.jpg5266.jpg5339.jpg5422.jpg

Definitely consider the Jazz Standard if an act you might like is playing there. Of the NYC clubs I have been to (Blue Note, Birdland, and Smoke are the others--still haven't hit the Vanguard) it was the one I had the best time at. They don't put you through a lot of the BS many of the other clubs do (like with drink minimums), and are extremely friendly.

My favorite hotel is the Algonquin. It's not too pricey (vis-a-vis Manhattan hotels in general, that is).

In addition to all the classic museums (Met, MOMA, Gugg, Whitney, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Frick), I've never gone wrong by sending anyone to the lower east side tenament museum. AMNH is cool, but better if you are taking kids, and not necessarily something that you can't find a similar version of in many other cities.

My favorite cafes are closely guarded secrets, but I'll give you a couple tips: Cafe Regio on Macdougal (lots of REALLY, and I mean REALLY hot European women hang out there, plus they make amazing Cappucinos), and this little French cafe on Spring and Mullberry with very strong coffee and incredible deserts. I always forget the name, but it's the only thing on the blook.

For art gallaries, just wander around in the Meatpacking district - it's becoming the new Soho. You can check out SOHO too, but it is rapidly becoming a shopping mall.

If she's into clothes shopping, SOHO is the place to go.

For favorite restaurants, you'd really have to give me a price range and a cuisine. You have to go to Peter Luger's (inner Brooklyn)- you'll drop $100/head, but you'll never have better steak. Grimaldi's (just across the Bkln Bridge, which is a great walk) probably has the best New York style pizza. Lombardi's and Nick's are close. Daniel is an incredible French restaurant - but it's pricey. Union Square Cafe and Gotham Bar and Grill are consistently the top-rated restaurants in the city, but they cater to an older crowd. Not really my bag. One if by Land (west village) is the ultimate date restaurant - I took my gf there for her last birthday. Fireplaces, chandeliers, Bill-Evans-esque piano player, somailier, the whole works, but not done in a stuffy way at all, and not TOO expensive (but bring two credit cards just in case ;) ). Plus it's in Aaron Burr's old farmhouse. It's close to a must-go. For Italian, I like Genarro (UWS) and Babao, a small, pricey restaurant in the Village. Never eat Italian food in Little Italy. DO NOT DO IT! You'll fork over a pile of cash for trashy food.

Beyond restaurants and museums, the quintessential aspects of New York really depend on your personality - the great thing about this city is that almost anyone can find their "thing" here. My personal "essential" New York tour would include: walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, walking up along the Westside peers, walking through the side-streets (ie not Canal) in Chinatown in the late evening, hanging out in the Lower East Side late at night, popping in and out of bars/clubs, finding funky cafes (a dying breed) on funky streets (another dying breed), popping in and out of vintage clothing stores (which have become more expensive than new clothing stores <_< ), a long, long, long walk in Central Park on a nice day, and having dinner at at least three fancy restaurants in addition to lower-key neighborhood ethnic spots. I've found it hard to go too terribly wrong eating in Chinatown, for instance.

Have fun.

Edited by J Larsen

I just thought of a couple other things: MOMA hosts an art/dance party on Saturday afternoons in the late spring and early summer at PS1 (a former school) in Queens. It's usually pretty cool, although it has become a bit watered down in the past few years.

Check to see what's going on at the Jazz Gallery.

If you had any inclination to do it in the first place, skip the Bronx Zoo - I find it extremely depressing.

If it's a rainy day, or if you're just plain tired, fork over $1.50 to take the city bus up Fifth Avenue and just look out the window.

If you're into architecture, go to greatbuildings.com, search for New York City buildings, and make a list of the addresses of buildings you'd like to see in person.

It's probably worthwhile to get the Zagat 2004 New York City Restaurant guide to carry around with you. If you get hugry walking around, it will give you a wide choice of excellent restaurants in almost any neighborhood. I buy the new one every year and find it incredibly useful.

I'm forgetting one really essential thing I always recommend (I remembered it for a split-second, which is why I started this post in the first place). It will come to me later.

Edited by J Larsen

Cafe Regio on Macdougal (lots of REALLY, and I mean REALLY hot European women hang out there, plus they make amazing Cappucinos),

and don't forget that that Cat 'Shaft', shut yo mouth, hung out there. :D

I've already told you WHY he hung out there....

I've spotted a few minor celebs in that place, but it never feels like an exclusive joint to me. It always just feels like a cozy, neighborhood cafe made for lazy afternoons.

Hey J,

You ever eat at 'Johns of 12th Street' east of Second? Some serious Italian there. The old chicken and prosciutto rollatini ... awooof! My favorite of all NY eateries was a place called "Zeet Peabody's Sugar Reef". Many stumbling trips to the Brazilian section at Tower after diner! I think it was between 3rd and 4th on Second Ave?? I don't think it's around anymore. I remember going a couple of weeks after Blue Velvet had screened and Hopper was at the next table - ScarY!!

Favorite hotels - I favor the big, chain hotels. If you like the botiques, that's cool. If you want recommendations on the big chains, let me know.

Favorite restaurants - I don't eat in restaurants.

Favorite Used CD Stores (for me) - J&R is pretty good, with good prices, on in-print stuff. Don't miss the Jazz Record Center (especially if you spin vinyl or dig books) and Downtown Music Gallery, Joes in the East Village. Normans has some out-of-print stuff at only slightly exorbitant prices.

Favorite theatres (for her) - Shows change pretty frequently. The current buzz is over the P Diddy show opening in a few weeks. By the time you arrive, who knows?

Favorite jazz clubs - It's not edgy, but the Iridium puts on some pretty good shows. Jazz Standard, Vanguard, Birdland... Check out the smaller venues too. Pick up a Village Voice, an All About Jazz and a NY Press and you're set. Watch especially for shows at schools, museums and the like; these are often bargains.

Favorite art galleries - Art? Yeah, art's my middle name.

Favorite cafes - I kinda like Esperanto in the Village, though I'm easily twice as old as anyone else on premises. New York has about the worst coffee on the planet, IMHO.

Other favorites: The Subway - Buy a pass and use it. The overhead tram to Roosevelt Island is a nice ride with a great view. Same with the ferry ride (free!) to Staten Island. Find time to walk as many neighborhoods as possible; that's what makes NYC great. And don't forget that New York City is NOT just Manhattan; there are four other boroughs.

Harlem's become pretty touristy - Gray Line tour busses on the hour, every hour and walking tours several times a day. Explore it on your own.

More later. Probably. Or PM me.

Thanks, but we have enough of those (and Tim Horton's) in Toronto!!!!

I'm curious...no one has mentioned anything about sites like the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, etc. Is it widely accepted that tourists should go to these sites, or are they a waste of time (not to disregard the lives that were lost at Ground Zero)?

Edited by undergroundagent

I'm curious...no one has mentioned anything about sites like the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, etc. Is it widely accepted that tourists should go to these sites, or are they a waste of time (not to disregard the lives that were lost at Ground Zero)?

I don't think the Statue of Liberty has been open since 9/11. I might be wrong.

People go to Ground Zero. I was there once with some friends from out of town. I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Ground zero if you visit is a big open space now. It is all cleaned up. There is a church that was next to the 2 towers. It’s the oldest church in NY. It didn't suffer any damage, which is amazing once you see the site and the photo hung on the church of the collapse. You can visit it. It has become the living remembrance of 911. The Empire State builing is great. If you want to go, you'll have to get there real early. The lines can get up to 2 hours + to visit the top. The Statue of Liberty is nice to visit, but I believe visitors are limited to what you can do when you’re there since 911 or it might be closed.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Drink good draft beer at DBA. They have some of the freshest draft beer around and put the date the keg was tapped on their blackboard menu. They are also close to Downtown Music Gallery, Other Music and Katz's. Great pastrami at Katz's!!!!

Or if you go veggie, try the great menu at Madras. The best Indian food I have ever had and I am not a vegitarian.

The deal with the Statue of Liberty is that you can go to it, but not in it. You're about as well off taking the Staten Island ferry, which is free. It passes right by the statue, and offers great views of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Plus you get to set foot on another borrough. But there's really next to nothing to do on Staten Island. I drove across it one day while helping my friend move. Two observations: it's HUGE, and it's nothing like the rest of New York - lots of strip malls and (mostly) trashy looking houses. It's really a more expensive version of the Midwest, IMO.

Another essential item: you have to go to Katz's for the pastrami sandwich. People will try to tell you that the 2nd Ave. Deli is better, and, in a sense, they're right. But Katz's has the best pastrami possible (if it was any better, it wouldn't be pastrami anymore), and the Katz's experience is not to be missed. Plus once you're done you can wander around the Lower East Side, which I have to say is much better seen at night when the bars and clubs are going. Also in that area is a very cheap and very delicious Mexican restaurant called El Sombrero, which serves humongous, strong margaritas to go. They get away with it by putting them in Coca-Cola cups. Perfect on a hot day. In general, Mexican food in NYC is disgusting though, so if it's not The Hat, forget it.

I can't seem to spell anything today - I see that Shrugs and I crossed up on Katz's :tup .

Edited by J Larsen

Another essential item: you have to go to Katz's for the pastrami sandwich. People will try to tell you that the 2nd Ave. Deli is better, and, in a sense, they're right. But Katz's has the best pastrami possible (if it was any better, it wouldn't be pastrami anymore), and the Katz's experience is not to be missed.

Let me third the recommendation for Katz's. Those sandwiches are damned good.

Edited by Big Wheel