"Freaks & Geeks" series being released on DVD!

i've seen all 18 episodes.

one of the few shows that has left me speechless and impatiently waiting for the next episode.

the episoded where the tall geek kisses the cheerleader in the closet is classic.

also, i never thought a styx song would bring me near tears.

this is one dvd box that i will buy.

nbc be damned.

I swear I read somewhere on-line that there is an expanded DVD "collectors" edition, with a several hours of extra material (beyond the "normal" extras on the "regular" DVD release).

Heck, wait here while I go take a look...

:w:w:w:w:w

OK, I'm back. Here's what I found...

dvd_available_header.gif

This special edition was produced by us, and man was it a crazy amount of work. And we thought begging someone to release the DVD was hard, try actually putting the DVD together. It features everything that will be on the box set which will be in stores April 6, plus two additional DVDs packed with material specially selected for the hard-core fan. We put it all in a strangely high-quality high school yearbook. It costs a bit more than the one that will be in-stores, but it has everything you want...and maybe even more. If you want more, don't ask us, we're exhausted.

We are never comfortable asking you to buy anything, but we are making an exception because we are so excited about the show finally coming out and we really want people to see it. Remember, we make nothing on this. It is truly one of those rare occurrences when something is done out of...dare we say it, love. For you, the show, the experience. We hope you enjoy it.

signature.gif

FAQS_header.gif

by: Kibbles the Rocker. Special thanks to: Judd Apatow, Dave the Moderator and Andrew Cohen

1. What is the official release date for the "Freaks & Geeks" DVD?

2. Will all the original music be included?

3. How many versions are there of the "Freaks & Geeks" DVD? What are the differences between them?

4. Where can I pre-order the DVD?

5. What Region code is the DVD? Is it available in PAL?

6. If I reserve a "Collector's Edition" now (advisable due to the limited quantities), will my credit card be charged now or when it ships?

7. How soon will it be before you run out of "Collector's Editions"?

8. What company is releasing the DVD?

9. When I went to pre-order my DVD, why did the domain name come up as "ShopBootlegs.com". Is this legitimate?

10. Are there any foreign language tracks on the DVD, or subtitles?

11. Where can I get help with issues related to the DVD?

1. What is the official release date for the "Freaks & Geeks" DVD?

United States: April 6th, 2004.

Canada: April 27, 2004.

Limited Edition (Internet Sale Only): Ships to both U.S. and Canada the week of April 12, 2004.

2. Will all the original music be included?

YES!! The rights have been obtained for ALL of the songs originally found in the show. This is the main reason why the set is priced higher then some of the other DVD releases of popular TV shows.

3. How many versions are there of the "Freaks & Geeks" DVD? What are the differences between them?

There are two versions of the "Freaks & Geeks" DVD. "The Complete Series" and "The Deluxe Collector's Edition".

"The Complete Series" is a 6-disc set with a suggested retail price of $69.98. This version boasts all 18 episodes with the original music, 28-page collectable booklet packed with photos, and over 40 hours of bonus material including a Director's cut of the Pilot episode & 29 audio commentaries by every single actor, every single writer, directors, network execs, parents of cast members, teachers in character, the musical composer and fellow fans (including yours truly!). There are also over 60 deleted scenes & outtakes, cast auditions, trailers, promos, bloopers, behind the scenes footage and much more.

The "Deluxe Collector's Edition" will be available ONLY via the internet, and it includes everything on the 6-disc set, plus an additional 2 DVD's featuring even more bonus materials, as well as an 80-page foil-stamped "Yearbook" loaded with photos and memorabilia from the show. The Yearbook also features fan photos, script pages, a quiz, a letter from Paul, a Q&A with Judd, details about every show, a letter from Mr. Rosso, poetry, rock and roll lyrics, reprints of articles about the show and lots more.

The 2 extra DVD's contain over 7 hours of extras, including; three live "table reads", a one-hour Q&A with Judd, Paul and the entire cast at the Museum of Television and Radio in Los Angeles, tons more auditions, deleted scenes, promos & outtakes, raw footage of some of our favorite scenes from a single camera perspective, Guidance Counselor Jeff Rosso & Feedback live in concert, the full original electronic press kit, a script that was never shot, a special music and photo gallery, surprise Easter Eggs, even more behind the scenes footage edited by Jason Segal and Martin Starr, and other things that are weird and hard to describe.

According to Judd, "I assumed, for the collector's edition, that you would want everything, and that is what you will get. There are a bunch of classic scenes that we put the raw footage on the DVD. So you see a scene you like all from one angle, one performance. Some of them are amazing, like the uncut version of Bill in the closet at the make out party, and Nick dancing in the final episode. But don't worry, you will be shocked at how much stuff is on the collector's version. I think it is between eight and nine hours of stuff not including the commentaries."

4. Where can I pre-order the DVD?

"The Complete Series" will be sold in stores (in both the United States and Canada) and should eventually be available for pre-order at most internet sites that sell DVD's.

The "Deluxe Collector's Edition" will be exclusively available on the internet as a LIMITED edition. Those who signed the "Get Freaks & Geeks On DVD" petition will have the first opportunity to buy the Collector's set. Everyone who signed the petition will be notified via email with instructions on how to purchase. If you do not receive an email and still wish to buy the Collector's Edition, you can do so here: http://www.freaksandgeeksdvd.com

A credit card will be necessary to order the DVD from this link. It will ship the week of April 12.

5. What Region code is the DVD? Is it available in PAL?

The DVD is coded for "Region 1" only, and there is no PAL version available at this time. We are currently unable to sell the DVD directly overseas, because the music is clear for use only in North America. To clear it worldwide would have cost too much money -- which we don’t have. We are attempting to address the issue, so all international fans please email FreaksINTL@aol.com with the quantity you want. If we are able to supply you, we will contact you very soon.

6. If I reserve a "Collector's Edition" now (advisable due to the limited quantities), will my credit card be charged now or when it ships?

You will not be billed until the item ships in April. The website places a hold on your credit card for the amount of the DVD, which is released in 2-5 business days if you cancel your order. However, you also lose your place in line for the limited edition!

7. How soon will it be before you run out of "Collector's Editions"?

According to Judd: "I think we are going to give people on the petition and the web site a month or so to order it before opening it up a little wider, so I wouldn't wait too long. You never know how high the interest level will be. If you have a real situation email me and I will make sure you get one."

8. What company is releasing the DVD?

The DVD's will be released by Shout! Factory and DreamWorks Television. The official press release can be found here.

9. When I went to pre-order my DVD, why did the domain name come up as "ShopBootlegs.com". Is this legitimate?

Yes! According to Dave the Moderator's research:

Sony Music is handling the distribution of the Collector's Edition DVD. The site they are using to handle the processing of the sales is shopbootlegs.com. If you check the registration of the domain, you can see that it is registered to Sony Music Entertainment. So there's nothing to worry about."

Organization:

Sony Music Entertainment, Inc

MIS Online

555 Madison Avenue

New York, NY 10022

US

Registrar Name....: Register.com

Domain Name: SHOPBOOTLEGS.COM

Created on..............: Thu, Aug 14, 2003

Expires on..............: Sun, Aug 14, 2005

Record last updated on..: Tue, Oct 14, 2003

Administrative Contact:

Sony Music Entertainment, Inc

MIS Online

555 Madison Avenue

New York, NY 10022

US

10. Are there any foreign language tracks on the DVD, or subtitles?

The episodes are closed-captioned for the hearing impaired with English subtitles. There are no subtitles for the bonus material.

11) Where can I get help with issues related to the DVD?

For customer service issues, please email Smfcustomer_services@sonymusic.com.

For international issues, please email FreaksINTL@aol.com.

For other questions, please email Judd Apatow / Andrew Cohen at FreaksDVD@aol.com.

Sources: Here and here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my DVDs yesterday (the regular edition), and watched the first episode. I'm just thrilled to have these, this may be my favorite show ever. They got the tone just absolutely RIGHT on this show: equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking. Nice package, too, even in the non-collector's item edition.

"Six more pieces and it'll be bigger than Neil Peart's!"

This sounds like one I'll have to pick up as well. Only saw a few eps at the time, but it was a quality show. Judd's a pretty cool guy.

Just want to note thing, though. There seems a lot of acrimony against NBC (I think it was) for canceling the show. That's understandable, to a degree, but please remember that no network *wants* to cancel any TV series. They want them all to become huge hits that run for years. The reason the show was cancelled was because it didn't get good ratings - which means that not enough people watched it. Fair or unfair, that's how it goes. If you want to blame anyone for the show's cancellation, look in the mirror. And then curse your fellow man.

B) ^_^

The networks are to blame because they move it around so much that the faithful have a hard time finding it. I was watching Freaks N Geeks every week when it was on Mondays, I believe, but then it was moved to Saturday night and it died.

Another great show that I love is SCRUBS, but since I'm never sure when it's on, I'm missing it. And with the fucking stupid APPRENTICE around and in it's former time-slot, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting canned within the next year or two.

Edited by tjluke68

I think F&G got jacked around with a whole bunch of schedule changes, and (in part) they never were able to find their audience that way. The network bears some measure of blame for not supporting the show properly when it was actually on the air.

Same thing with Sports Night, and equally amazing show on ABC, that got canned after two seasons. One of the best things on television, along with F&G.

It actually got yanked from the schedule for 2 MONTHS, then put on at a different time with no advertizing to let people know where to find it. Networks should first recognize a quality show then get behind it by putting it on at a reasonable time and keeping it there long enough for word-of-mouth to have an effect. C'mon, were not talking rocket science here.

"...equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking." That sums it up for me. Some friends and relatives have told me they find it painful, uncomfortable, or too intense. HUH???? I just don't get that. Sure, it doesn't lean on TV comedy cliche's as heavily as, say, That 70's Show, but isn't that a GOOD thing? I think so.

"Dad, are any of your friends still alive?"

"I know what you're saying: 'But Mr. Rosso, if I don't drink, I won't be cool!' Well, maybe if you don't drink... you WILL be cool."

This thread can just be dedicated to good quotes from the show.

To bring this back round to jazz, sort of:

"Some friends and relatives have told me they find it painful, uncomfortable, or too intense."

A friend told me that Cecil Taylor made them nervous. I replied, "Well, me too. But sometimes I like to be nervous."

:g

"I know what you're saying: 'But Mr. Rosso, if I don't drink, I won't be cool!' Well, maybe if you don't drink... you WILL be cool."

"Nothing is more contagious than GOOD JUDGEMENT."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Anytime you want to dance with me to my Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich records, you're welcome to."

• 3 weeks later...

The "Lady" scene may well be the greatest scene in the history of television.

Yes :tup ...along with the coach Fredricks coming down to breakfast while Bill is eating cereal scene. AKA the "Love Reign O'r Me" scene. Painful and hilarious at once.

• 10 months later...