Two Toronto concerts (2023)

ejp626

I thought these two concerts looked interesting for anyone in the area.  Normally if we get a major jazz act, they are playing at Koerner Hall or as part of the summer jazz fest.  These are outside those two streams.

Christian McBride is presenting his The Moment Revisited at Meridian Hall downtown on Feb. 17.  Joe Sealy opens the night with Africville Stories, which sounds like it will also be pretty interesting.   https://www.blogto.com/events/christian-mcbride-the-movement-revisited-toronto/

Tickets are through TicketMaster.  I didn't even notice the coupon code in the blog posting until now.  I have no idea if it actually works (and probably best not to tell me if it does...)  😒

Then in early March (March 11) Bill Frisell is coming to town and playing The Great Hall, which is Queen Street West.  https://www.collectiveconcerts.com/event/bill-frisell-gh

I've seen McBride in a few settings.  I don't think I've ever seen Frisell, but it's possible I have at the Chicago Jazz Fest and just don't remember.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Am heading over to see Bill Frisell in a couple of hours.  At least it isn't snowing today...  ❄️

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this show at all and left after an hour.  This wasn't at all what I was expecting based on his last few albums.  I suspect I would have much preferred his quartet (with Greg Tardy) but this was the Bill Frisell Trio.