Ernie Garside

adh1907

I wasn’t sure where to note this but Ernie Garside, renowned UK jazz promoter (and trumpet player) has died, aged 91. There is a short obituary in Jazzwise here: https://www.jazzwise.com/news/article/rnie-garside-3-january-1932-1-august-2023

He had a long and prolific life from setting up the famous Manchester jazz club, Club 43 to promoting and touring with Maynard Ferguson (after he had settled in Manchester). I think I attended a number of concerts he promoted, including Art Farmer in Southport in the 80s. My Dad certainly went to lots, incl Club 43 and passed the time of day with Ernie a number of times. He will be upset when I tell him the news. RIP.

I understand there is a very large and interesting archive of recordings of a number of jazz greats at Club 43. Would be a great memorial to Ernie if there were some releases from this.

Anthony 

Sad news - RIP. I remember seeing his name mentioned as promoter at a Maynard concert I saw (Fairfield Halls, Croydon) and of course he figures strongly in the Bill Birch book. Relatives of mine caught some of his Southport shows e.g. Stan Kenton in the 70s.

3 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I understand there is a very large and interesting archive of recordings of a number of jazz greats at Club 43. Would be a great memorial to Ernie if there were some releases from this.

Anthony 

Indeed it would !  I wonder who is on these?

Edited by sidewinder

On 8/17/2023 at 10:19 PM, BillF said:

Very sorry to have this news.

I knew Ernie well from the 60s to the 80s and saw many jazz greats at his Club 43.

I gather from my Dad that he was quite a friendly chap. British jazz owes a lot to a few driven individuals. Harry Flick was another, in the Midlands area.