DVD - The Greatest Jazz Films Ever

Dave James

I was finally able to track down a copy of "The Greatest Jazz Films Ever". Got it from the good folks at Dusty Groove. If you're at all into jazz on film, you must have this DVD. Just one "knock your socks off" session after another. Prez, Bean, Bird, Diz, Miles, Ella, Trane are just a few of the artists represented in this collection. Included is the '40's film "Jammin' the Blues", some material from JATP (the best of which - and I had not seen this before - has Coleman Hawkins and Charlie Parker playing together!), the Miles Davis quartet w/ Coltrane, Chambers & Cobb doing everything from So What to New Rhumba along with the Gil Evans orchestra featuring Eddie Bert, Jimmy Cleveland and Bill Barbur. It also has some outtake audio tracks and last but not least, the entire CBS presentation of the Sound of Jazz from 1957. I'm tellin' you, this one is just chock full of fun stuff. Buy with confidence.

Up over and out.

I was finally able to track down a copy of "The Greatest Jazz Films Ever". Got it from the good folks at Dusty Groove. If you're at all into jazz on film, you must have this DVD. Just one "knock your socks off" session after another. Prez, Bean, Bird, Diz, Miles, Ella, Trane are just a few of the artists represented in this collection. Included is the '40's film "Jammin' the Blues", some material from JATP (the best of which - and I had not seen this before - has Coleman Hawkins and Charlie Parker playing together!), the Miles Davis quartet w/ Coltrane, Chambers & Cobb doing everything from So What to New Rhumba along with the Gil Evans orchestra featuring Eddie Bert, Jimmy Cleveland and Bill Barbur. It also has some outtake audio tracks and last but not least, the entire CBS presentation of the Sound of Jazz from 1957. I'm tellin' you, this one is just chock full of fun stuff. Buy with confidence.

Up over and out.

Dave,

Sounds fabulous. Thanks for the rec. I'll seek this out. :wub: