Les McCann "Never A Dull Moment! - Live from Coast to Coast (1966-1967)

tranemonk

I think Les McCann - who is a master - belonged to another "stream" than the one I grew up with (the BN, Prestige, Impulse artists) but the radio DJ of the weekly "Jazz-Shop" seemed to like him very much, when I still didn´t know many names in jazz. 
I remember he spinned some earlier stuff of McCann, where he plays a regular trio, or maybe with a horn, and on one of them - as that Radio DJ (Herwig Wurzer) explained us - he did welcome Monty Alexander on stage. I never had heard of them, but Herwig said that Monty is blood young but plays a more conservative style than Les McCann and from what I heard, I can confirm that. 
Nor Monty Alexander would have been on my "screen" but he sounded more like something similar to Oscar Peterson. I must say I liked more, what Herwig spinned of LesMcCann. 
And a few days later, how could it be else, I bought the omnipresent "Montreux 1969" . It was not exactly, what I ususally listen to (´69 was more a years of transition as I felt it, Miles slowly goin electric, Pharoah keepin the Trane spirit, Ornette Coleman playin´again with Charlie Haden,  so "Compared to What" was somehow an exception in my small collection.....but fine of course......

• 1 month later...